AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Losing Fish one by one!!!!!!

Registered Member

Default Losing Fish one by one!!!!!!

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them? Not eating ,, hiding and breathing heavy,, Not all are acting this way. Had them for 2 months so far first two weeks was fine, Then one got bloat and died. Few days after that 2 stopped eating , others where fine. Now i have lost 2 more they stop eating and then die a few days later.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds). Not eating ,, very skittish / Darting all around,, Two of my Red turqs are a little dark. A few out of the 9 left are breathing heavy. NO WHITE POOP ,, is always long and segmented but dark . No other signs.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Few weeks after I got them 2 stopped turned little dark so i used General Cure API for 4 days. Seemed better after that was good for 11 days then thats when they became crazy skittish and darting. I then did a heat treatment 5 days 92f ,,, Did try Epsom salt too. Last 4 weeks i have lost 2 more fish.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish. 55 gallon ,,, 12- 2.5 " Stendker.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often). 25% everyday did that for the first month then i was told Stendkers dont need that much so now I am doing 25%-40% every other day.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? BB tank has been running for 5 months . Did fishless cycle and then once cycled I added 4 rummynose Tetra till i got the Discus.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing. Have aging barrel , heater and air stone. No really PH swing. Had high PH at the start 8.4 to 8.6 thought that was the issue so I was told i could use my water Softner water so i started mix that in. 2 weeks ago i stopped that and No using RO water 60% tap and 40 % RO i took a week to introduce it slowly. my TDS was over 300 GH and KH was off the charts. new water parameters are listed below.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __86___

- ph ___8.0__

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading ___0_

- nitrate reading ___5 to 10 ppm_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___YES_

- RO water ____YES

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently. NO new fish

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can. Homemade Beef heart ( Beef heart ,shrimp , banana spinach, Multi vit, spirulina ) and Hans Flakes. BH 2 times a day .2 oz and flakes 2 times a day.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

https://youtu.be/FsV6YlmvuKI

https://youtu.be/mVXQLuqdtXU

IMG_7930.JPG

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Losing Fish one by one!!!!!!

I will comment but there are others more experienced.

1. I would return to daily WC for the amount of fish that you have, or at least 45% every other day. With 12 in a 55, I would be making plans for a larger tank as they grow - probably a 90gal minimal. Even then you are looking at daily WC.

2. If General Cure seemed to help, I don't think you did it long enough. I would go 10-14 days.

Registered Member

Yes the plan is to move them to my 125 gallon when they get bigger. I have two sponge filters and two HOB filters on there now.

Real Name
    Mervin

oops.i was going to ask about the cycle but i see you already mentioned it.4 rummy nose tetras may not have been enough to cycle a tank,then put 12 in all at once may have caused a mini cycle=nitrite=flashing/whirling/fast breathing.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 03-31-2019 at 03:38 PM.