AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie to Discus

Registered Member

Default Re: Newbie to Discus

DPaul - I live in Windsor Ontario. I wil lahve to check out Canadian Aqua Farm. Thanks. Is there any other supplier on Ontario that you would consider reputable ? I understand the sacrificial lamb method of QT now. Dumb question: Since Discus are social fish and like to be in groups of 5-6 to remain happy and healthy wouldn't moving a single fish from a large display tank to a small QT tank by their lonesome for 6 weeks induce stress and cause illness giving you a false indicator that something is wrong with the QT fish ?

PaulS - Thank you for your explanation of the "canary" That poor hero really takes one for the team.

Cove - Thanks for joining the thread. It seems we are similar in the "go big or go home" philosophy The tank I'm building will be behind a wall hence I will access on all sides. From what I've learned so far I'm leaning towards sub adult discus to avoid the ultra sensitive nature of Juvis. I will definitely check out your Sweetwater Reef.

Eugene - Thanks for pointing me to the "65 gal grow out Journey"

I have to say that I'm overwhelmed by the support on this Forum. I've never experienced this on any other aquarium related forum. Thanks again everyone. I have a lot of reading and research to do after which I'm sure I will have many ( dumb) questions

Over the past 10 years or so there have been a number of discus breeder/importer suppliers in the GTA/Toronto/southern Ontario area, but none have seemingly achieved any consistent degree of success and all that I was aware of have apparently disappeared for lack of viability.
    There is one source north of Toronto that has been around a long time, with an excellent reputation, that I believe is still in business supplying quality discus - and that is Upper Canada Discus - Bob Garside - who I believe still imports his discus from the known to be a high quality breeder - Wayne Ng of Hong Kong. Bob's operating location is somewhere near Barrie, Ont. I believe.
    Look up his website up for contact details, etc.

As for the hero discus situation - isolating a single fish temporarily for QT purposes is not generally issue-producing. While a single discus may be a 'lonely camper' for that temporary period, there is no distressing condition to cause a solo fish any health- altering stress (e.g. bullying through pecking order development) - so not usually any problem.
    Many hobbyists have said they've kept a single discus in a community tank for years without a problem.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 04-03-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks for the Ontario fish supplier. Will check it out.
    I understand the solo discus QT process now. The grouping of Discus in Display tanks is similar to african cichlids, the more the peaceful .

Real Name
    Mervin

I had a "reflection deep" discus here from Bob Garside from Upper Canada Discus that grew to be 8". I also grew out some nice big discus from Canadian Aqua Farm in BC.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Welcome to simplydiscus mate! One of our SD sponsors, Dennis discus fish, operates out of Bowling Green Ohio. So you have the option of driving one and a half hours from Windsor to hand select fish from Dennis. I purchased 8 adult discus from Dennis in July last year. The quality shape and color is amazing and they've been happy and healthy. Dennis is a great option to get you set up on your way since he's so close. He will send videos and separate out fish that you would like to buy. When you arrive to collect them if you want to change your mind he is more than happy to do that as well. I had a great buying experience with Dennis.

All the best to you sir! Keep us posted on your progress :-)
    Last edited by danotaylor; 04-04-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Real Name
    Mervin

It sure does benefit from seeing them in person.

Registered Member

Thank you Daniel and Marvin for the source tips.
    Daniel; I take it one can bring tropical fish across the border into Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by NP57 View Post
    Thank you Daniel and Marvin for the source tips.
    Daniel; I take it one can bring tropical fish across the border into Canada?
    That depends a good deal on where it's coming from in the U.S., and which Canadian border point is the crossing area for bringing the discus in.

I've heard of a number of very different results in differing areas which seem to be significantly dependent on the Canadian border authorities' interpretation of the rules, and the type of fish involved. They may let them in, & they may not - you take your chances.

Check it out very carefully before you proceed, and ask for an advance ruling on discus importation from the U.S. specifically at the border point you'll be using.
    I may be off base here, but that's my best advice. I prefer to order from Canada if I'm located in Canada - that's a foolproof approach. No unknowns.

Registered Member

Sound advice. Thanks Paul

Real Name
    Daniel

Yea I agree with Paul. Call ahead to find out. It shouldn't be a problem because discus can be imported into Canada, but best to have direction from the border peeps at the Detroit Windsor crossing...

Real Name
    Daniel

I just read on Dennis's website that he ships to Canada. He offers free shipping on orders over $399 (before tax). With the hassle of border crossing, time and gas, that is probably a safer & more efficient way to go...

Registered Member

Daniel, thank you for the info. I will have to call Dennis and get details on border crossing. Sounds like a viable alternative.

Registered Member

Guys,
    What level of nitrates do Discus tolerate?

Not more than 10 ppm on any consistent basis. 20 ppm or more regularly is a harmful no-no for discus.
    One of the reasons for the large, frequent wc's -I've always kept nitrates under 5 ppm consistently.

Registered Member

Paul
    A followup question; If nitrates are consistently kept at 5 ppm by use of filtration could one reduce wcs from every 2-3 days to once a week ? Given the amount of detritus produced by sub-adult discus is 5ppm realistic with over filtration and 1 wc weekly ?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast