AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How long to leave fry with Parent

Registered Member

Default How long to leave fry with Parent

It been exactly 4 weeks since the fry attached! They eat well. Large frozen Brine. And Beefheart. And blood worms.. and 30% eat flake. I had planned to leave the Mom with them another 2 to 3 weeks! Mom Ive had for 2 plus years. Mom has never been happier. I heard that fry and die fast after 5 weeks and the mom could pass a disease. Al or any other expert breeder it this true...many of you also suggest the parents offer a immunity and to let them feed from the parents as long as possible.

What is the best answer Thanks all

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: How long to leave fry with Parent

I've moved fry from parents as early as 14 days free swimming. However, I've noticed that fry do better when they're kept longer with the parents. In Asia, I've seen fry start to feed on live food while still with the parents.

One more thing, a very smart breeder told me that instead of moving the fry out, he moves the parents out.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Default How long to leave fry with Parent

I have planned to move the Parent out of the tank. Use the 29g breeding tank as a grow out ..30 or so fry. My dilemma is this 5 week issue where many fry see to die at? I've heard that they pick up a disease from the parent. Then leaving them allows them to still benefit from the parents immunities.

I'm trying to minimize this issue. That said they still eat excellent and I do 90 water changes every day.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 04-03-2019 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Add post to thread

Registered Member

Thank you Willie. I already plan to leave the fry in the tank .. I'm just days shy of 5 weeks after attachement. It's been a mom only deal from beginning seems to work better this way. Mom is being great but no eating. She seems to not want to both the fry. May take her out but want her to rest a bit.. maybe I'll buy another 29 gal. Hard decision I think

Real Name
    Willie

If you have a mated pair, the chances are that they’ll spawn again within the month. A spawning pair may well eat the first spawn. I’ve had it happen to me. You might want to think about a 55 instead.

Have fun, Willie. ��
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I only have had Mom in there since attachment so zero chance of a spawn... I put the dad in with my other female from my second spawn. They have been together for 4 days and there are picking at the cone already curious how these babies will look like. Hope all goes well and if they fail then I'll move in mom....