AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help-Losing discus

Registered Member

Default Re: Help-Losing discus

Do you see any chance of this burning itself out? It already seems to be be slowing rapidly, killed an adult turq in a few hours, held on to a juvie pigeon blood for 2-3 days, then only held onto the adult red-orange marlboro for a few hours. Seems like it'll be burnt out soon to me

Im late to this thread and from reading it, its got alot of possible issues.

I would try kanamycin with metro as its the most effective combination we have for internal infections in fish that are not eating and its the most rapidly absorbed ime.

The question is whats the base cause. Like the others I think its a bacterial infection. Its hard to say where it came from but a possible scenario is the fish was initially sick with an external bacterial infection that resolved as they often do with new fish.

Its possible the levamisole killed worms in the fishes organs and that led to bacterial infection. If the worms are in the intestines they are passed out with waste...but in organs they can decompose and lead to infections and decomposition issues. This is one reason why I deworm when I first get fish... if fish have extensive worms deworming can be a real problem.

Its a guess in the worms but I think the best suggestion is the antibiotic .. whether its from decomposing worms or some other bacteria issue. I don't think this one is one we can ID the cause on... I would suggest a lab for that.

hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post

I would try kanamycin with metro as its the most effective combination we have for internal infections in fish that are not eating and its the most rapidly absorbed ime.
    Al

What dosage regime to follow when treat Metro +Kanamycine in conjunction Al ?
    Should we use their recommended doses - 500mg /10 galons of Metro +200 mg / 1 gallon for Kanamycine or should it be lowered to some level ?

Filip,

The metros dose of 500mg per 10 gal is fine. The kanamycin dose is a hard one... its unfortunately recommended at so many different concentrations.. Its been a very very long time since I have had to use it but have seen it work miracles in fish at 500 mgs per 10 gals so thats what I have used when needed... I also carry it out 10 days as I do any antibiotic I have used.

hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Update: Well I thought I had finally beat whatever was going on, but not even 5 minutes ago I notice the pigeon blood trying to swim upside down at the top of the tank, on top of the bubble wall from the airstones, also looking even more bloated then before. I've kept up the water changes and medicated with metro and kanamycin as suggested. I'm starting to lose hope what now?

So its been a couple weeks now and they were fine and are acting up again? Are you still feeding bug bites?

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Basically, I don't know what happened. I got cobalt discus flakes now, I still have a tiny bit of bug bites mixed with that so it's familiar, but I plan on having it out completely by the end of this week.

Registered Member

Would boiled and de-shelled peas be appropriate?

Registered Member

*sigh* can I get a: banging my head on the wall smilie? I swear this fish is going to kill me, it's acting fine again

Quote Originally Posted by nikm128 View Post
    *sigh* can I get a: banging my head on the wall smilie? I swear this fish is going to kill me, it's acting fine again
    It sounds like its getting bloated/constipated from food.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    It sounds like its getting bloated/constipated from food.

al
    Ok, so I'm going to just stop the bug bites a few days early. Should I do a three day fast, or feed peas for a few days?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Stop the bug bites and add Epsom salt 1tbsp/10gal to help ease the constipation

Registered Member

Done, and done!
    Thank you all for the help so far by the way

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123