ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Planted 75 Gallon Discus Tank

Registered Member

Default Planted 75 Gallon Discus Tank

Hello all! So I had to create a new user name, but I’m back. Have kept discus before and had some great success. Had a breeding pair form from the original fish I had. After taking a break from the hobby, I’m back and ready to get into this again permanently! I have a new setup with some drift wood, plants, gravel and then sand substrate. I topped the gravel(has nutrients for plant growth), with sand do keep a lighter look to the tank. This tank also has a 30 gallon sump below. It is still cycling, but wanted to get some opinions on how it looks. Would also love some suggestions on unique fish to keep as tank mates! Thanks so much! Still a bit cloudy while everything settles.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Planted 75 Gallon Discus Tank

Hi and welcome Cyrus . I wish you good luck with your new comeback in to the hobby and this forum .
    Your tank looks nice as a display tank in your living room .
    I'm not too keen on using garden soil full of organics in discus tank , but with sufficient WCs I guess you'll be able to keep the water quallity in check . i would definitely go with adult discus in this planted set up instead of raising youngs . I would get the discus as a first fish , keep them for couple of months and then if all goes ok I would start adding other fish using proper QT procedure for introducing new additions .
    What lights do you plan to use for planted tank ? It looks a bit too dim for a planted tank on this photo to me .

Good luck Cyrus and we eagerly await for discus photos.

Registered Member

Thanks for your reply!
    I’m using the ‘Current’ LEDs. They show up really blue in photos for some reason. From what I ready they are good for easy to care for plants. The substrate I got that contained bacteria is called Eco-Complete. Then topped with the sand of course so that I don’t get peppering in the discus.

I will go ahead and pick discus very soon then and get them added to the tank.
    Thanks!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Curtis Clements

Welcome. Starting with a blank palette is always fun, and a little stressful. There's always something you want to change later.
    Life's like a discus ordered online - you never know what you're going to get.

Cyrus, I just got a small school of Ember tetra and I love them because they take up such a small footprint within the tank and school pretty good. I also have a cherry shrimp reproduction problem and so I introduced to Raphael catfish but it seems like they won't even eat many of the shrimp. However the Rafael's leave The discus alone. Also maybe some banjo catfish for your substrate? What discus strains are you planning on putting in?
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Patty

Hi Cyrus,
    I think your tank looks great and you sound excited to be back into the hobby. Looking forward to watching your tank evolve. Welcome back! Discus are a hard habit to break. Ha ha
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

Really appreciate the replies. I’m wanting to have a variety of discus in my tank. Thinking I will max at 6 or 7 based on the tank being a 75. I do have about 105 gallons of water volume with the sump. I decided on long fin blue danio for schooling fish. They are so pretty and seem to enjoy the top of the water column. I was given cycled media from a good friend and hope to start stocking soon after it has time to cycle more in the tank and seed my media. I will definitely post updates as they come! Discus are definitely a hard habit to break! Lol. Thanks again everyone!

Real Name
    Zach Swedberg

Originally Posted by Orlandoguy
    I've just moved to Orlando. Is here any good freshwater LFS? Mostly saltwater, so I could not find anything decent here, I'm also a researcher and writemyessaysonline about aquarium as a hobby and how it positively influences the psyche. I'm also trying to get my water to 6.4
    Also: how do I choose tank mates?
    Check these:

Aqua Holics
    Fishy Business
    Pet Bazaar

You may find everything about discus tankmates via Discus Madness.

Real Name
    Tom

Just a guess but is the last post a robot? I keep seeing posts like this. The quoted remark isn’t from this thread and doesn’t make sense. Also an old thread.