AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New batch

Real Name
    Raphael Giroux

Default New batch

Came back home from work and there we go, 160 new fertilized eggs. Gonna setup the tank for this today but i have a question...

As there's 160 eggs by now, ive got 3 containers for brine shrimp holding 2L each... What quantity of brine shrimp can i hatch each day into 2L bottles without them dying fast?

This tank is about 45 gallons, im'a gonna split it in half, bare bottom by the nursery side... With that much of discus, when would it be the time to free them in the whole tank, and when would you transfer them in a 120g as this us the only option I have by now?

This is my second batch of babies, first time they were only 50...

Thx guys!

Registered Member

Default Re: New batch

Last month I was lucky with 2 sets of spawns. I found that using a plastic bucket with a bubbler in it worked great that eggs hatch in 24 hours. I poured eggs in it and some salt! It's been going now for 7 days and there are still plenty off BBS. Did this twice! I also use a BBS kit a black box with a cup on top. I dip the box into to bucket and it makes the bbbs swim into the fresh water. 4 feeling a day. More of I'm home. Start the BBS after 5 or 7 day after attachement. They will be fine feeding of parents. Or in my both cases 1 parent

Registered Member

I will upload some pictures tonight....

Real Name
    Raphael Giroux

I used plastic bottles with our last spawn and did thr same as you did. I hatched about a spoon of eggs for 2L of water with some salt... Id like to know if it is risky to put more eggs for that amount of water... Have you tried?

Registered Member

I am trying to upload a picture with no luck .. I was tired on day and just grabbed I plastic 2 gal bucket and a bubbler. I just poured a large amount of eggs and poured some salt as well didn't measser it made the water a little warm. And put a lamp over it over night. 24 hours later I hatched thousands! I've done this 3 times! Never failed. I only have to hatch once in 10 days. Then there eating beefheart and blood worms an first bits by them. I think I have another batch getting ready to spawn.. will see if this works again. Also ive only had 2 pairs spawn. Both only 50 fry each and with a single parent and hand off 1 week after attachement.