AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Eggs in community tank

Registered Member

Default Eggs in community tank

The other morning I noticed two of my discus protecting the drain tube. I thought oh wow they’ve paired up. That night I caught her laying eggs on my driftwood. The female is a red cover and the male is either a white butterfly or an albino white butterfly. I ordered them on line and have no idea which white one is which. My question is should I move them to my 29 gallon for next time? Is that pairing going to produce good stock? I have experience raising cichlid fry, but not discus. Thanks for the help.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Eggs in community tank

If you want to breed them, then yes. Move to their own tank. I would also pick up a RO unit. You will need soft water for breeding, as well as a BBS hatchery...

Red cover and White Butterfly are both PB's, so may be compatible. I'm not sure what they would produce...

Some people have water that doesn't require RO water. But crossing a PB and non PB results in ugly offspring. A Red Cover is not a PB. It's a stripeless brown based red.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    If you want to breed them, then yes. Move to their own tank. I would also pick up a RO unit. You will need soft water for breeding, as well as a BBS hatchery...

Red cover and White Butterfly are both PB's, so may be compatible. I'm not sure what they would produce...
    Is the soft water necessary? For the hatching, rearing, whole process?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Some people have water that doesn't require RO water. But crossing a PB and non PB results in ugly offspring. A Red Cover is not a PB. It's a stripeless brown based red.
    Oops!!! Liz is correct. I was thinking of another. This is not a good cross!!!

soft water is necessary for good hatch rates...

Many folks are lucky enough to have soft water straight from the tap. You won't know for sure until you try it.

I'd love to see a pic of your Red Cover. I love the brown based reds. The stripeless ones aren't as readily available as the striped ones.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Many folks are lucky enough to have soft water straight from the tap. You won't know for sure until you try it.

I'd love to see a pic of your Red Cover. I love the brown based reds. The stripeless ones aren't as readily available as the striped ones.
    i tried to upload but it keeps saying failure, not quite sure what Im doing wrong

Real Name
    Brian

It's probably too large. When this happens, I usually email it to myself and the email automatically compresses the attachment.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    It's probably too large. When this happens, I usually email it to myself and the email automatically compresses the attachment.
    Thanks! that worked.
    Attachment 123350
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lovely fish in excellent condition. I'm assuming that this is the male. If it were up to me I would do my best to find a female of the same strain to breed him to. But that's just me...
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Lovely fish in excellent condition. I'm assuming that this is the male. If it were up to me I would do my best to find a female of the same strain to breed him to. But that's just me...
    Thats the female. I'm not necessarily looking to breed, just happened. Will they just keep laying eggs over and over? They were all gone by the next day.

most likely they will keep laying eggs over and over for a while.
    -Elliot