AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discus lingering parasite

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Default Re: Discus lingering parasite

Though MetroPlex and PraziPro are not 100% concentration they are single antibiotic/antiparasitic meds. Dose as directed on the package is best since concentrations vary.

IMG_20190407_211808-01.jpgIMG_20190407_211830-01.jpgIMG_20190407_212151-01.jpgIMG_20190407_212156-01.jpg

Registered Member

Along with Liz’s comment above would it be the best case approach to now just perform 80-90% WC every day while dosing appropriate 10g metroplex dosage every day for 10-12 days ? Ill Try feeding every 4-5 days ?
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFanMan View Post
    Though MetroPlex and PraziPro are not 100% concentration they are single antibiotic/antiparasitic meds. Dose as directed on the package is best since concentrations vary.

IMG_20190407_211808-01.jpgIMG_20190407_211830-01.jpgIMG_20190407_212151-01.jpgIMG_20190407_212156-01.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Well, 10 grams per 10 gallons is way over any of us have recommended on this thread. I'd would just finish the general cure you started then to 90% WC everyday since it's only a 10 gallon tank. See what clean water does for it. You have plenty of time, usually discus don't die overnight.

Registered Member

Overisght on my end- meant to say 10g as in the appropriate 10 gallon dosage for metroplex as on the bottle
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFanMan View Post
    Well, 10 grams per 10 gallons is way over any of us have recommended on this thread. I'd would just finish the general cure you started then to 90% WC everyday since it's only a 10 gallon tank. See what clean water does for it. You have plenty of time, usually discus don't die overnight.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Please don't move the sick fish in with your existing fish.

The symptoms are all classic symptoms of hex. Seachem Metroplex is not 100% metronidazole. Neither is Prazipro. You were on the right track. What should do is use 100% Metro (available from Jehmco) and you must treat with 400 to 500 mgs. per 10 gallons daily for 10 to 12 days with 80% -90% WC every day. Dose the same 500 to 500 mg every day. The Metro only lasts in the water column for that long. It's safe, gentle, and effective. Get the heat above 90 if you can and add more air.

The large daily WC will not hurt your fish if your water is the same temp and has a stable pH. I can tell you how to tell if you don't know.

Do me a favor please, and fill out the form
    I agree with Liz and that is the dose recommended for discus. It’s worked for me. Good luck.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Well, what I would try next after clean water for couple weeks is what Liz said. Get the metro and dose like she said. I know that's what works for discus. Sponsored discus dealer where I get all my discus gave this advice to me for your situation, "Use 2x the recommended dose at 89 deg for 10 days.". She was referring to the Jehmco metro. Good luck.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Oh, forgot to say Miranda from Chicago Discus told me that. She's awesome! I just love visiting her shop, discus, plecos, parrots, turtles, chickens, koi pond... just wonderful!!!

Registered Member

Seachem Metroplex is not 100% metronidazole. Neither is Prazipro. You were on the right track. What should do is use 100% Metro (available from Jehmco) and you must treat with 400 to 500 mgs. per 10 gallons daily for 10 to 12 days with 80% -90% WC every day. Dose the same 500 to 500 mg every day.
    There's no metronidazole whatsoever in PraziPro.

Metroplex is 70% pure so one can simply dose 570 (400 / 0.7) to 715 (500 / 0.7) mg per 10 gal instead.

Real Name
    Frank

Liz’ recommendation is right on. Dosing Metroplex can get very expensive quickly. I do realize that in a 10g tank you minimize the expense but the pure Metro is the way to go.

I would go ahead and purchase from JEHMCO to have on hand. I think that you might be redosing in the future.

That dosage is no longer strong enough for Discus.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Mus_tafa21 View Post
    Along with Liz’s comment above would it be the best case approach to now just perform 80-90% WC every day while dosing appropriate 10g metroplex dosage every day for 10-12 days ? Ill Try feeding every 4-5 days ?
    First off I said 400 to 500 mg per 10 gallons. I know that it's way above what the label says but it's the dosage that works for Discus. Do a search for Hex and you will see that dosage recommended by all the long time Discus keepers.

I would discontinue treatment with the metroplex and just use heat and massive WC until the Jehmco metro arrives. Heat alone will sometimes work for hex. The high heat will also raise the fish's metabolism and help to get it eating. Be sure to add more air!

There is no reason to discontinue feeding during treatment. Feed the most tempting foods like frozen blood worms and freeze dried black worms. If you have mosquito larvae in standing water outside feed those. The wiggle factor is hard for a fish to resist.

Do you age your water or go straight from the tap? If you use tap water without aging you must have the same pH in the water before aging with an air stone. If you have never tested for this I can tell you how to do it. This is important because constant swings in pH is stressful for the fish.

Please fill out the form. It will help me help you: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete
    Mama Bear

Good luck. This is also classic for the parasite cryptobia. I hope that's not it. That is what finally caused me to quit keeping discus. You can look at my previous posts on cryptopia.

Registered Member

Got the order for the pure metro in now, Ill perform the daily water changes until then . I usually just let the water sit for 10 mins with prime but Ill do 24 hours now and check the pH of the tank and new water before changing.

Will keep you guys updated
    First off I said 400 to 500 mg per 10 gallons. I know that it's way above what the label says but it's the dosage that works for Discus. Do a search for Hex and you will see that dosage recommended by all the long time Discus keepers.

I would discontinue treatment with the metroplex and just use heat and massive WC until the Jehmco metro arrives. Heat alone will sometimes work for hex. The high heat will also raise the fish's metabolism and help to get it eating. Be sure to add more air!

There is no reason to discontinue feeding during treatment. Feed the most tempting foods like frozen blood worms and freeze dried black worms. If you have mosquito larvae in standing water outside feed those. The wiggle factor is hard for a fish to resist.

Do you age your water or go straight from the tap? If you use tap water without aging you must have the same pH in the water before aging with an air stone. If you have never tested for this I can tell you how to do it. This is important because constant swings in pH is stressful for the fish.

Please fill out the form. It will help me help you: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

Registered Member

Have you gotten this disease with fish in your existing tank or with new fish? Huge bummer if it came up with your established fish is there any preventative measures to this?
    Quote Originally Posted by shrinkwrap View Post
    Good luck. This is also classic for the parasite cryptobia. I hope that's not it. That is what finally caused me to quit keeping discus. You can look at my previous posts on cryptopia.

Registered Member

Why the meds? They aren't needed. White poop? And your not seeing it anymore right? The lack of appetite will be fixed once temp hits the mark.. leave to there for a week or more. Extra aeration is needed for the higher temp... It's a simple fix...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast