ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Discus lingering parasite

Default Re: Discus lingering parasite

The fish isn't pooping white because he's not pooping at all. He hasn't eaten.

I have had cryotobia. It does have the same symptoms as hex but is rare these days. There is no sense in worrying about something rare when it is most likely you are dealing with something very common.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

So as of now , the fish seems to be doing better- its more active, hasnt lost any coloration . Still havent seen it’s poop as it hasnt eaten in awhile but it’s currently the only fish alone in the QT tank. I really dont know how to make sure if it’s still sick or not , the API general cure dosage is now finished and Ive done a 50% wc after completing it.

I tried feeding with some mixed results, the fish now goes in the general direction of the food wherever it floats around the tank but I havent seen it eat yet either. Starting to think it might just be a feeding problem now and Ive heard people have issues getting discus to eat alone in QT.

Will continue to do 80-90% WC from today onwards since the dosage is complete.
    Would it be adviseable to still dose jehmco metro? The fish has been constantly medicated for the past two weeks and now the only issues Im seeing are rapid breathing (added aeration ) and a sunken stomache possibly from not eating. Would it make sense to add rhe fish after 4 weeks of this QT in hopes it will eat along with the other fish if its not alone/stressed?

Registered Member

What is the tank temperature? Once it hits 90 for a few day it will eat.

Real Name
    Filip

I wouldn't introduce a new , sick fish with the rest of my other discus . That's why we do QT at the first place , to evaluate if the new discus could potentialy harm the existing batch,and not mixing it if it could .
    Give it a week rest and if it still doesn't eat try the heat treatment or Jemho -metro at 500 mg per 10 G of dose . Ive even dosed this dosage twice a day after a WC for the stubborn cases of Hex and noneating discus . It's a slow process and discus can go for 2 months without a food before they start to deteriorate.

Registered Member

Unfortunately lost the fish today , it went pale and has some red wounds kind of looks like hole in the head bites around the body.
    Not sure what disease this was or how it couldve been remedied/prevented.
    Does anyone know any steps I couldve taken differently so I know how to potentially handle a case like this in the future better?

Real Name
    Filip

Well at least you didn't mix it with the others and they should be safe now .
    Sorry , I can't think of any disease with your above mentioned symptoms.

I'm so sorry. I was sure it was on the mend.
    Mama Bear

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123