ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus turned black with white slime all over & white eyes

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Default Discus turned black with white slime all over & white eyes

I should have made a post earlier but thought I had it under control. One of my discus started showing a small white patch that I thought was ich. I treated it with paragaurd for a week and it seemed to get better. Fish was active and eating. I then was out of town for a bit and my wife was only able to do 1 WC. When I got home I noticed he had a small hole in his bottom fin. Over the next few days I treated him with Paragaurd, then prazipro then Metro, doing a WC between each treatment. His fin never healed and almost half his fin had deteriorated over the course of a week, but he was still eating and active. A day later he looked like this(hopefully the pics from my phone show up).
    He was completely black on color, had white clouded eyes, and even parts of his body looked like they had burn marks or had a flesh eating parasite. The holes are very hard to see in the pictures. He was also sitting on the bottom of the tank not moving but still breathing. He has gone to the top corner of the tank a few times and that’s it.

At this point o feel hopeless and am worried for the rest of my fish who show no signs of disease. The tank has been established for 3 years, use RO water, temp 84, eating ALs worm cubes, 7 adults in a 120g.

I am wondering if at this point I need to euthanize the fish to save my others because I do not have a hospital tank set up because I lack the extra heaters and filter which broke over the yrs. 37C00ECD-5689-44B7-B776-EB3B0DE91947.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Discus turned black with white slime all over & white eyes

Now that he has moved into the light I can see many holes that I can only compare to burn holes as you can see in the pic....B10FC2F7-84BE-4E93-9B95-C4CC78D8F517.jpg

He's in pretty bad shape but if you want to try to save him, put him in a BB QT tank and treat with Furan ll according to label directions. 80 to 90% WC daily.
    Good luck.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBraap View Post
    I should have made a post earlier but thought I had it under control. One of my discus started showing a small white patch that I thought was ich. I treated it with paragaurd for a week and it seemed to get better. Fish was active and eating. I then was out of town for a bit and my wife was only able to do 1 WC. When I got home I noticed he had a small hole in his bottom fin. Over the next few days I treated him with Paragaurd, then prazipro then Metro, doing a WC between each treatment. His fin never healed and almost half his fin had deteriorated over the course of a week, but he was still eating and active. A day later he looked like this(hopefully the pics from my phone show up).
    He was completely black on color, had white clouded eyes, and even parts of his body looked like they had burn marks or had a flesh eating parasite. The holes are very hard to see in the pictures. He was also sitting on the bottom of the tank not moving but still breathing. He has gone to the top corner of the tank a few times and that’s it.

At this point o feel hopeless and am worried for the rest of my fish who show no signs of disease. The tank has been established for 3 years, use RO water, temp 84, eating ALs worm cubes, 7 adults in a 120g.

I am wondering if at this point I need to euthanize the fish to save my others because I do not have a hospital tank set up because I lack the extra heaters and filter which broke over the yrs. 37C00ECD-5689-44B7-B776-EB3B0DE91947.jpg
    Matt,
    That fish should be euthanized. I'm sorry, but its been in decline a while. I think what happened here on the slime coat is pH burn.

matt.jpg The eyes and gills are showing classic signs of it. Can you post pics of the other fish? I would check the pH of the tank its in, in the past you mentioned you used Pure RO/DI,

I bet your pH crashed while you were away.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-08-2019 at 06:17 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images