AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Filtration for a 125?

Registered Member

Default Filtration for a 125?

Hi, I realize that this is a loaded question but I’m hoping that with me providing some info you guys can share some expertise and advise me on what might be best for my setup.

I’m a long time reefer and cichlids keeper setting up a 125 gallon Discus tank. I plan on adding nine or ten four inch Discus. I’ve looked into the corner mattenfilters, sponge filters and canister filters. I worry that the mattenfilters and sponge filters might not circulate enough water to allow the heaters to work effectively.

I also cringe at the thought of a canister trapping tons of detritus and having to clean it all the time. My other thought was to drill the tank and use a sump. I could repurpose much of my reef gear but I’d rather not have the tank away from the wall which drilling the back would require.

Thanks for any input or advise you can offer!

Fred

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Filtration for a 125?

If you size the lift tube on the mattenfilter properly, I don't think you will have any issues with water flow. You can also add additional aeration.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    If you size the lift tube on the mattenfilter properly, I don't think you will have any issues with water flow. You can also add additional aeration.
    That makes sense. I planned on ordering it from and following the input of Swiss tropicals. I was only going to use two though. I’ve read some reports of them not being the nicest thing to look at but I love the idea of hiding equipment without having to have a sump.

Real Name
    Frank

Nice is in the eyes of the beholder. I like sound filtration.
    Email them, they will help you size properly. They are prompt and helpful for any question.

The Mattens from Swiss Tropicals are the best as are their lifters. I wouldn't go with a corner filter for a 125, though. I use the ones that cover the entire side of the tank for anything I have from 60 gallons up. IMO the corner filters are better in smaller tanks.
    Mama Bear

Im boring old school on my 125 gal tanks. .. both run 3 each aquaclear 110s. Its easily enough for your bioload and then some.

Im not a fan of cannisters.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I'm worse than you, Al. I run my 125 planted Rainbow fish tank 3 large sponges from Angels Plus. The plants don't totally hide them so they are still noticeable. If I could afford a Matten from Swiss Tropicals for that tank I would buy it, but the sponges will do for now. Sitting on the side of the tank they aren't noticeable, even in my BB tanks, and you can't beat their filtration capacity. He asked for our best recommended not what I use. The Matten and lifters are, IMO the very best filters.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

I'd like to see a pic of someone's Mattenfilter that has been running for a while in their tank. When I went to The Wet Spot's retail "LFS" last year, I think their whole system used individual Mattenfilters for each tank, and individual input water lines. I had never seen them before, and they looked like they had been running for years, covered in algae. Is that the norm?

They say on the Swiss Tropicals site that you don't have to squeeze them or otherwise maintain them until the flow from the lifters slows down. Hans uses them. He swears by them.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I like Hans, he’s never steered me wrong so far. Thanks for the input all. I spoke with Stephan at Swiss Tropicals and came up with a plan based on my needs. Super psyched to get this tank going!

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

One option to hide/cosmetically enhance the appearance of a mattenfilter is from Stendker themselves: https://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/...r_Matte_en.pdf

I imagine any low maintenance plant you can stick to rock/driftwood would work: Buce, Anubis, Java Fern, Java Moss but the fine root structure of Java Fern would be most compatible.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I have a 125 gallon tank with an 20 gallon diy sump, and used poret foam from Swiss Tropicals. This has been the best filtration system I've used for my discus tank, and believe me I have tried numerous filtration setups over a few years, and this current setup has been just great. Can't go wrong using products from Swiss Tropicals. I switched from Anoxic Filtration on 12/31/18 to this current setup, 10PPI, 20PPI, 30PPI three inch Poret Foam in the sump.