ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Wrigglers free swimming then died after aprox 10 hours?!

Registered Member

Default Wrigglers free swimming then died after aprox 10 hours?!

Hi guys,

So finally I have wrigglers swimming and attaching to the pair. But after monitoring them for hours, I started seeing them slowly dieing and falling to the bottom of the tank even they attached to the pair. Now I have 0 wriggler!

This is the 2nd time they spawn. pH 6.8, KH 3, GH 400ppm.

I have no idea atm what causes this? The pair has no slime coat? Or something is off?

The pair is Pigeon blood. I noticed when doing water change that there's is a thing looks like cotton sticking on the heater electrical wire. Is it slime coat? Thanks
    Last edited by mr_rgb; 04-11-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Default Re: Wrigglers free swimming then died after aprox 10 hours?!

What is the pair, pigeon blood, albino it would be good to have an opinion if we knew what species the parents are as well. Jim in Ohio

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    What is the pair, pigeon blood, albino it would be good to have an opinion if we knew what species the parents are as well. Jim in Ohio
    The pair is pigeon blood. What I noticed when doing water change that there is a thing looks like cotton sticking on the heater electrical wire, is it considered slime coat? Fish doing fine and eat normally.

Registered Member

Has to be your water. Are you using straight tap. Maybe age your water for 24 hours. Maybe use Prime.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    Has to be your water. Are you using straight tap. Maybe age your water for 24 hours. Maybe use Prime.
    I'm using prime all the time. I age water with 4 air stones for 24h before doing water change with the temp matching the tank. Water change perfomed once every day, 60%.

Real Name
    Brian

Flukes?

Registered Member

Strange is there something in the aging bucket...Did you buy the aging bucket new? How long have you been using it?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    Strange is there something in the aging bucket...Did you buy the aging bucket new? How long have you been using it?
    It's the 45g I bought in home depot. I clean it every time when I fill it up. It just smells fishy that's all. I've been using it for almost a year now.

Registered Member

Not sure. Maybe clean your tank extra extra good . My fry where fine but what I thought was clean wasn't. My tank has a slime to it. I purchased another scubber and pushed extra hard! water change till Discus where leaning a bit. Then for you try new media in your over hang filter ( if you have it). Or a clean your sponge of swap it from another tank... Or a new one. Then use API Quick Start. With 80% plus water change daily or everyother day and good water as you do. It will fix this issue....unless it's genetics?

Your pair is doing getting farther every time they spawn, right? I would let them keep trying until they get it right. PB's can't get dark but they still produce slime. there other subtle ways that they can attract fry. If you have anything dark in the tank, like a sponge remove it until the fry start eating from the pair. If the water current is strong in the tank, lower it. You're right in lowering the water level, but once you have wigglers turn off the lights on the tank.
    Mama Bear