AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Why do they spawn after I haven't changed water in a while?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Why do they spawn after I haven't changed water in a while?

I have three pairs I'm courting, plus a couple angel pairs that do it when they're in the mood. Different tanks. They're all adults, and when I get busy, it can sometimes be a week between water changes. ph is probably around 8, and usually using my well water that I cut with RO to about 100 ppm or less if I'm trying to encourage them. Running multiple sponge filters in the tanks that I rinse with water changes. Several times now, a pair or two will decide to spawn after the water has aged in the tank for the week, including feedings. I tend not to overfeed. Just when I'm ready to finally change water.
    I'm assuming they're responding to something chemical in the water conditions.
    Any ideas?
    Steve

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Why do they spawn after I haven't changed water in a while?

Lowered KH and pH I guess ?

Registered Member

My guess is constantly. There relaxed at easy less stress routine. I have done so many posts here. Panic driven... I find it's consistency that has proven out. Keep it simple and time with basics.

I now am on my 3rd successful spawn in less then 2 months. Different discus pairs an a quick random swap.

Once a week is fine. More better. More then once a day OCD. Lol.. All my spawn have been a 6 to 8 day 90% percent water change. 2 to 3 days Wiggler's I do just right above the cone. Not changing your routine so much. The Discus don't mine it. They don't get spooked. Once they attach I do every 3 to 2 days. Then work into a once every 24 to 36 hours. Consistency and easy them into the new routine. I have zero deaths from each attachment. Knock on wood... #mytwocents

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Lowered KH and pH I guess ?
    This is what I am suspecting, which means maybe I need to get out my test kits and start measuring things. It's nice when everything seems to be going well and testing doesn't seem necessary.

Real Name
    Filip

A guy in a FB group that keep wilds reports spawning behavour and pronounced colours of his discus when the PH drops from his usual 6.5 to 4.8 due to neglecting WCs . Maybe the same has happend here .

Real Name
    Mervin

The rainy season and the dry season in the Amazon does the same thing.It's a mimic of the rainy season.