ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Any ideas? Repost from FB member...

Real Name
    Brian

Default Any ideas? Repost from FB member...

What seemed to be a water quality issue doesn't seem to be the issue. From puss to dead in 48 hours? Kind of looks like a heater burn but it's spreading to other discus

"I had a discus develop a little worm like thing on its side. It was there for a few days then looked like a little wound and quickly became an ulcer. Treated with salt, Dimetridazole and topically with mecurochrome. It went from tiny wound to dead in 48 hours. I now have another one with the same worm like thing. Does anyone know what it is and how I can save my fish please? Photos of initial fish and then the one today. Thank you."

sick 1.jpg
    sick 2.jpg
    sick 3.jpg
    sick 4.jpg

Default Re: Any ideas? Repost from FB member...

Its most likely bacterial. Those same infectiions we often see here on the forum and described as zits or pimples... They can be pretty serious depending on the bacteria involved. Its basically an abscess when it gets like this. The white "worm like thing" is just some forced out puss. Most of the time these pimples never get really bad as they rupture leave a small hole that closes up.. The above pics are what can happen if they don't and an an abscess forms.

Theres been a few times where people have reported these things happening to multiple fish at once and best we can do is guess theres a particularly virulent bacteria established.

I would seriously suggest a heavy duty antibiotic... Kanamycin, minocycline, oxytracycline are all good guesses.. If the member doesn't have access to them, then they should talk to a vet about whats available....a culture of that pimple may give a solid answer on the best med.

hth,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-15-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Al. I was thinking along the same lines but wanted your expert opinion

It was the speed it developed and killed the fish that had me concerned about possible parasites or even TB...

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Thanks Al. I was thinking along the same lines but wanted your expert opinion

It was the speed it developed and killed the fish that had me concerned about possible parasites or even TB...
    It was probably developing out of sight for a while Brian.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images