AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discus lingering parasite

Registered Member

Default Discus lingering parasite

Hey,
    First post in the forum here.
    Appreciate any help regarding the issue Im having.
    Ive been keeping discus for a little over a year now, I recently bought a new discus I have in 10 gallon quarantine.

I initially saw some white poop so I immediately started dosing seachem metro and conducting 25% water changes every other day as per medicine instruction. A week later, no improvement.

Before starting a different med I did a 50% WC and dosed API general cure , first dose is now complete and I will be conducting a second dose today.

The fish hasnt eaten yet .ive offered bloodworms soaked in garlic powder , beefheart, frozen dried worms , tetra granules with no luck.

QT tank temp has been kept at a steady 86 degrees with a sponge filter running . Ammonia,nitrates/nitrites have been in check and my pH is a steady 7.2 , I dont tamper with parameters and usually add prime and let the water sit for 10 minutes before adding it to the tank at exactly 86-88 degrees tops to reduce temperature fluctuations.

Initially it was pooping white, now I havent seen it poop in awhile and the abdomen is now shrunken

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus lingering parasite

I would do larger water changes once a day is fine. I would try to increase to temp to 90 degrees. Increase 1 or 2 degree a day. Try to feed small amount of food 2 times a day key is clean water. Also aeration. I am no expert but not panicking and natural methods seem to work. I've learned alot here.

Real Name
    Filip

I would do daily 90% watrchanges with aged water to enchance it's immune system and get it's appetite back .
    Heat treatment of 6-7 days in 96 F. With heavy aeration could work too .
    Once off food and pooping white , they need a lot of time( couple of weeks to month ) to get back on the track , at least in my experience .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

General cure is metro plus praziquantel. Hopefully prazi will cure him. I've had discus that would not eat after both treatments and had to put them down after 6 months of not eating. Hoping for the best for your discus.

Registered Member

Temperature 90, clean water (24 hour aged is best), and time. Is the fish dark in color? Make the water temp with water changes as close at possible. Have faith it will work

Registered Member

Wouldnt large water changes dillute the medication?
    However, Im on my second dose of API general cure which should be done within the next two days.
    Do you suggest doing a WC during this period at all or wait 2 days then conduct daily WC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    I would do larger water changes once a day is fine. I would try to increase to temp to 90 degrees. Increase 1 or 2 degree a day. Try to feed small amount of food 2 times a day key is clean water. Also aeration. I am no expert but not panicking and natural methods seem to work. I've learned alot here.

Registered Member

The fish actually looks great in color, its been breathing a bit heavy so Ive been scared to up the temp any higher
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    Temperature 90, clean water (24 hour aged is best), and time. Is the fish dark in color? Make the water temp with water changes as close at possible. Have faith it will work

Registered Member

Appreciate the well wishes , not quite sure if the fish is still sick at this point as I havent been able to see any poop since I got I saw the white two weeks ago.. tempted to add this fish to the main tank after this round of meds in hopes it will eat and be less stressed among the other fish cant be certain now since the main issue now seems to be that its just not eating
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFanMan View Post
    General cure is metro plus praziquantel. Hopefully prazi will cure him. I've had discus that would not eat after both treatments and had to put them down after 6 months of not eating. Hoping for the best for your discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Depends on what your params are. If you detect any ammonia you have to do a big WC and add the med again.

Registered Member

Do I conduct these water changes after the med period or during it as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I would do daily 90% watrchanges with aged water to enchance it's immune system and get it's appetite back .
    Heat treatment of 6-7 days in 96 F. With heavy aeration could work too .
    Once off food and pooping white , they need a lot of time( couple of weeks to month ) to get back on the track , at least in my experience .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

You might want to to switch to Prazipro. Dose it and be done. Do a big WC, dose it and let your tank be until Nitrate gets to 40 then do WC and see how your discus is.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

I wouldn't feed it during Prazipro. After 7 days do big WC then see it he eats.

Registered Member

API general cure also has praziquantel in it I believe -150mg, should I still go for prazipro after the two days left for the general cure then WC and dose or just leave the tank alone after today’s general cure dose and wait for the nitrates?
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFanMan View Post
    I wouldn't feed it during Prazipro. After 7 days do big WC then see it he eats.

Please don't move the sick fish in with your existing fish.

The symptoms are all classic symptoms of hex. Seachem Metroplex is not 100% metronidazole. Neither is Prazipro. You were on the right track. What should do is use 100% Metro (available from Jehmco) and you must treat with 400 to 500 mgs. per 10 gallons daily for 10 to 12 days with 80% -90% WC every day. Dose the same 500 to 500 mg every day. The Metro only lasts in the water column for that long. It's safe, gentle, and effective. Get the heat above 90 if you can and add more air.

The large daily WC will not hurt your fish if your water is the same temp and has a stable pH. I can tell you how to tell if you don't know.

Do me a favor please, and fill out the form
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Though dosing vary, my Jehmco metro recommends 189 mg per 10 gallons.

IMG_20190407_210247-01.jpg
    IMG_20190407_210207-02.jpg
    IMG_20190407_210218-01.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast