ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honest opinions please.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kayleigh

Default Re: Honest opinions please.

Your sure I'm ok? Feeling the love right there. Hahaha oh wow thank you so much. Not going to lie wasn't looking forward to beef heart cause so much of it has to come off and I think if I asked the butcher for beef heart for my fish at home he'd think I was mental. Hahaha. Definitely going to make that one thank you.

Real Name
    Willie

These look good. Even better is that you have them in a barebottom tank with a sponge filter. If you can, up the water changes at this stage. Going 100% daily is not much more work than going 50%. At this stage, water change will impact growth and shape more than the choice of food. I've seen beautiful discus raised on flake food - albeit with water changes.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kayleigh

Thanks Willie. I might do 100% on my days off which would be twice a week but doing it daily will take me nearly 2 hours a day due to siphoning into buckets and then refilling with buckets and carrying them back and over. Takes me nearly an hour just to do 50%. Haha

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

You should invest in a python...your arms and back will thank you for it!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kayleigh

No idea what that is but I am googling that right now. Haha also I'm small so have to use a step to reach the bottom of the tank hahaha

Real Name
    Filip

You won't last long with buckets Kay . You better invest in a Python (a PVC hose used for garden watering ) and a pump that will automatically pump your water from the tank to the toilet and from aging barel to the tank .
    If you use stronger pumps you can even make the 100% WC last less than 10 Minutes and fully automated .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kayleigh

I don't mind the buckets cause has to be done so just one of those things. Definelty getting the python though and when I do looking back on the bucket system and my above comment and think I was mental. Haha wow less that 10 minutes water changes. That's the dream right there. Haha

I have an entire fish room. At the moment I am only running 980 US gallons of tanks, mostly large tanks but a number of breeding tanks as well. It takes me an hour to change water on all those tanks. Pumps are a great blessing.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 04-17-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kayleigh

Wow!! I have only 358 gallons most tanks only small breeders and it takes me ages to do them.

Kay, good looking fish. Keep taking pictures as they grow so you can see the before and after as well as the transition in between! If you get tired of buckets then definitely submersible pump! Makes water changing a breeze and I'm not sure how much they cost in Ireland but they are pretty darn cheap for some really powerful submersible pumps here in the US. I think my current one does around 650 gallons per hour.
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kayleigh

Thank you. I have one ordered just waiting for it to arrive but in the mean time I figured out a way to change 90% with barley any bucket use and it's a blessing. Haha

Barley? Also using wheat and whole grain oats? Sounds like a beer funnel to me

Yeah, I remember the first time using a pump. I felt like a little kid opening up the best Xmas present ever!
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kayleigh

Shhhh don't point out my horrific spelling haha ya can't wait to get it. It's the simple things. Haha

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

She spelled "barely" with her Irish accent...try saying it Elliot 'barley'...yea, sounds about right LOL

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    She spelled "barely" with her Irish accent...try saying it Elliot 'barley'...yea, sounds about right LOL
    LOL... shoot, I'm the LAST person who should've been correcting spelling... I was drinking and just thought, "beer" when I saw it Hell, I had to look up and see if it was right or if I was solely focused on needing another brewskie
    -Elliot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12