ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with my breeding pair

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Problem with my breeding pair

I wouldn't break the course of metro either, at least for 7-8 days .
    I'm totally caught up and unsure about the root cause of this odd symthoms but I would consider salt or PP dips as a part of the treatment because those methods can be pretty efficient in burning external pathogens (dots , zips , protozoans trophont stage etc. ) .
    Last edited by Filip; 04-19-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff

I have been adding 4tsp salt and 3 scoops of MetroPlex along with my 100% WC daily. I did do a half dosage pp bath about a week ago while there were still fry in it. Should I do another pp bath again on them with full dosage (2mg/L)?

This morning when I go to check up on him he's coming up again, looks like the hole in his head closed up a bit as well
    Last edited by belvius; 04-19-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Any news Jeff? I hope you start seeing more improvements in the condition of the male...glad they have been more active & eating...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff

Thanks to everyone's advice he is a lot better now! He is very active and eating beef heart, FDBW & discus granules, the white spots on the body are still there unfortunately. I am going to keep doing daily WCs adding salt and see how he progesses

Real Name
    Daniel

Good news mate. Very good signs he is recovering. I wonder if he might benefit from some stress guard to help replenish his slime coat?
    Fortunately as he kicks into breeding mode again any residual spots/scarring would not be passed on thru his genetics.

Real Name
    Filip

Try a one time salt or PP dip in a bucket right before your 100% WC if you've done it in the past and you feel confident doing it . Maybe that will help getting rid of those dots .
    I'm glad things are heading for better .

I would go with a salt dip.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I'm so glad you saw this thread, Al. I knew that we were giving good advice but I also knew that you could advise him better than any of us. I'd have gone with PP. Good thing I kept my mouth shut.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm so glad you saw this thread, Al. I knew that we were giving good advice but I also knew that you could advise him better than any of us. I'd have gone with PP. Good thing I kept my mouth shut.
    Liz,
    You all were doing just fine.. and a PP bath would probably have been well worth trying. The only reason I would go with a salt dip is its done in bucket and doesn't knock back your filter and the OP appears to have a bacteria infection on those fish. The salt dip can help alot by removing excess slime and promoting slime coat turn over. The op mentioned this pair had fry for a while. If they were making slime and no longer had the fry, sometimes you get opportunistic bacteria that get established. I've had it happen here once in a while. A good salt dip usually fixes it by sloughing off all that junk. PP would oxidize it off, but is rough on gills.

hth,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-22-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Got it. Thanks for going into detail for me.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff

I don't have any experience with doing any salt/pp dip on discus, but I did see online that I have to mix 500 grams of aquarium salt in 3 gallon of water and leave him in there for 30-60 seconds?

The white spots on his body are getting less by each day already, the left side is mostly gone and the right side still has a tiny bit remaining, is it still recommended that I do a salt dip?

Real Name
    Filip

If things are getting better maybe you should wait a couple of days more and just observe .
    If you sometime decide to do salt dip for the first time I would recommend weaker salt solution(half this recommended dose ) with prolonged immersion time and observing discus through the whole procedure .
    If discus starts loosing balance , lean on side , bend it's tail fin or start gasping for air on the surface you stop the dip .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff

So I put the cone back into the tank since the male got a lot better. The female decided to lay eggs yesterday on the cone but the male refuses to fertilize them. Is there something I need to do in order to trigger the male to want to breed again?

Also, if I was to remove one of them to my show tank what is the proper way to acclimatizing them? My breeding tank is a 70/30 RO/tap mix and around 6.8 pH but my display tank is at 100 tap with about 7.8 pH
    Last edited by belvius; 04-25-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Real Name
    Daniel

Given you recent bout of unidentified disease I would not recommend mixing either of these fish with you show tank fish. Even though the Male seems to he recovering, both fish could be carriers of whatever the male succumbed too. QT is recommended as 6 weeks of careful observation of health. During the recovery time of this pair please research the quarantine process using the search engine on this site. Loads of good info about how to prep fish for mixing together. When the time does come to mix, people here seem to advocate for temperature adjustment only, then plop and drop em in, even up to a full 2 point pH differential. Your 1 point should he fine according to people recommendations and experience here.
    I think the Male will get back on the horse again soon with breeding. Give them lots of big WC's and good food and he will get in the mood again
    Last edited by danotaylor; 04-25-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff

So for some reason the male is develop a HITH again but at a different spot.. I do 50% daily WC, squeeze out the sponge filter and wipe down the sides once a week. Am I doing something wrong here? I use the same regime on my other breeding tank and the pair and fry are all very healthy

The female is still very active and would come up for food. When the female tries to lay eggs on the cone the male would just go up to eat all of it instead of fertilizing it..
    Last edited by belvius; 05-07-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast