AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 50 fry look the same size on the 10th as on the 16th

Registered Member

Default 50 fry look the same size on the 10th as on the 16th

Why is it that my fry don't seemed to have grow? I do 90% water changes and feed them 5 to 8 times a day with BBS

My other batch from 2 weeks ago doubled and I don't believe I did anything different

Thanks

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: 50 fry look the same size on the 10th as on the 16th

I find BBS doesn't really put on a lot of growth - even when the bellies look orangish. Recommend you move them to beefheart. I've weaned fry to BH as early as 6 days free swimming and see them explode in size.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Thanks! More Beefheart. I did see one difference.. my other 6 week fry that are still with Mom. Feed off her longer. These 4 week fry that are tiny still never really ever ate to much from Dad..Both batches single parent .. Dad is a Yellow. Maybe the slime is the Key to growth?

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I find BBS doesn't really put on a lot of growth - even when the bellies look orangish. Recommend you move them to beefheart. I've weaned fry to BH as early as 6 days free swimming and see them explode in size.

Willie
    Willie corect me if my memory don't serve me well , but as I recall from following the grow out challenge Brian (warblad )had the best results in the initial growth stage and one of the things he did different from other contestants was to keep the fry exclusively on BBS for another month or so ?

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Willie corect me if my memory don't serve me well , but as I recall from following the grow out challenge Brian (warblad )had the best results in the initial growth stage and one of the things he did different from other contestants was to keep the fry exclusively on BBS for another month or so ?
    I know he did feed BBS. Can't recall if it was exclusively - that would be surprising. I've seen discus fry literally not grow when fed solely on BBS after two weeks free swimming. Rather than rounding up, they stayed that sort of transparent appearance with an irregular shape.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Almost about to give up on these guys. Now down to 15 and still not growing eating only bbs. Picking at the beefheart. Not sure what happened. I think if I try the 2 yellow discus again I will 1st give them a good PP treatment clean them up 1st. My Guess is the parents where carrying something. My other Blue and red pair had about 50 and after 7 weeks zero deaths. Female I purchased from a guy on Craigslist who had his own 50k fish room and was obsessed. The other from a local discus store who also has an online store. These guys are very good by the way!!! Goldenstate discus.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    Almost about to give up on these guys. Now down to 15 and still not growing eating only bbs. Picking at the beefheart. Not sure what happened. I think if I try the 2 yellow discus again I will 1st give them a good PP treatment clean them up 1st. My Guess is the parents where carrying something. My other Blue and red pair had about 50 and after 7 weeks zero deaths. Female I purchased from a guy on Craigslist who had his own 50k fish room and was obsessed. The other from a local discus store who also has an online store. These guys are very good by the way!!! Goldenstate discus.
    Golden State Discus is a sponsor here.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Really I didn't know this. They are a 15 minute drive from my house. Lol.