ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing out in planted tank

Default Growing out in planted tank

Okay, I've seen one of the threads of a guy in the past who grew out a group of discus (in the first or second contest) in the past in a planted tank with only one WC per week but has anyone else grown out discus in a planted tank? I just got 3 of Forrest's Virgin Reds (3.5") through Eric at Carolina Discus (love that dude... great dude and AWESOME discus... will be getting some from him in the future) and then 5 of Harry Marsh's RTs (Alex Piwow's; Harry is also a very nice dude for putting up with me on a weekend pick up as he had other projects going on outside of discus) which are about 2".

I'm doing more than one WC per week (well, probably about 2-4 per week; 50-60% per WC). Just key thing I'm curious about is how others did with little ones growing out young discus in a planted tank. What were your lessons learned (blunders and brilliance). Thanks to all who respond!!!

key things (but not limited to) that I'm curious about others:
    food
    frequency of feedings
    frequency of WC + size of WC + tank size (and how many discus you had)
    water chemistry (i.e.-I think I need to add crushed coral since my hardness isn't "too hard")
    filtration

On a sad note: Just got that many new discus because lost all of mine due to a mishap when putting them in back-up tank while having hardwood floors installed. Wasn't very happy. Had other plans originally for getting some new ones but now this is my new group. Lesson learned: have a back-up tank to the back-up tank... don't let son hit tank with pry bar... don't have a damn pry bar laying around with a one year old. -- "Father of the Year"

Default Re: Growing out in planted tank

Alright, I guess no one wants to touch this due to the main reason that "you're not supposed to grow out discus in a planted tank." Look, Chad Hughes did it and I've applauded him for doing so (but was already doing it prior to his experiment just without as much success as his... great job Chad!). I've kept discus for over 16 years (actually, I guess 9 since it was intermittent while in the Marine Corps). Since then I CANNOT have extra grow out tanks due to wife not having it yet I can totally have happy discus in a planted showtank (if they're eating, breeding, and raising then I say they're happy). I totally agree that the best way is to have a grow out tank and then put them in a show tank but that's not in the parameters I have to work with. I know I can at least get most to 4.5-5.0 inches with ease but after that it's an uphill battle for me with the present limitation. Any ideas are welcome. Hell, I'll take the well deserved criticism but just so you know that this isn't my first, second, or third rodeo with discus. Thanks to all

And here we go

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

thanks, stunted. i was actually looking for some mature answers rather than someone who just created a new file yesterday just to post a wise crack (love the name; perfect for my thread). forget it. pile on the "bare bottomer's" and the "you can't have happy young discus in a planted tank"-people. if anyone has any ideas/lessons learned outside the box, i'm all ears. just please hold any further stunts like "stunted". i'm not going to pull a "i served my country and deserve... yadda yadda" but I'd like to think that I could take critiques whether good or bad vice smartass remarks and antagonists like above when I'm seriously trying to do something that I already know has a lot variables that tend to swinging towards unfavorable conditions.

stunted -- thanks bud, i used to enjoy coming here for advice, *****.
    Last edited by pcsb23; 08-10-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: no need for insults

Registered Member

Hi, I'm relatively new to this and I'm curious too about the topic. Based on my readings though, the feeding, wc, cleaning will all be relatively the same. Planted tanks just make it harder to do a thorough cleaning. There is also debate on frequency of wc..opinions and experiences range from daily 90%-100% to about 50% every other day with the latter risking stunting.

I think it's possible to do what Chad did with one water change using the filter system he used or a balance refugium system. Clean water and well balance diet can grow out really nice Discus if everything is balance.

Hey Pastry,

I don't know a thing about planted tanks, but it sounds like you do. You've kept discus before, you've kept planted tanks before. I know that with my juvie discus, I do 2 WC's a day. I may be obsessive

If you want the discus so you can keep and enjoy them, then I think you should combine all your own knowledge, give it a try and let us know how it goes. If you want to raise to breed, ect...forget about it. I wouldn't experiment if you have future plans for them.

BTW: don't be too hard on yourself, dad. One year olds can be sneaky little cusses!

Jd, right on. I actually do about 60-70% during WCs. It doesn't disrupt my plants. I'd like to feed more beefheart for growth but can't do too much due to how much it fouls the tank. I only do it right before I do a water change (and keep my eyeball on remnants!). Regardless, I'm confident that mine won't reach their full potential of growth in a planted tank but do believe I can still put some pretty good size on these little guys. Thanks for following this Jd. Meanwhile, check out Chuck H's thread in the 2009 SD contest in the archives folder. He grew his out in a planted tank with only one WC per week; however, he seemed to have his water chemistry down pact. Great, great info in his threads he posted on it though!

kalel & Maia, thanks!

kalel - refugium system? I'll look that up but may pick your brain later on that if I have q's and you don't mind!

Maia - yep, no breeding here. Wife wouldn't have it (well, we let it go once but it was just too much... already had respect for breeders but have sooo much more after that!). Thanks Maia!

Pastry, Here's a video of a breeder/LFS owner who uses a refugium system for his show tanks and his breeding tanks skip to 8:00 to see the system. Also Google ecosystem refugium + Miracle Mud and DIY Refugium sump system and you should find all the info you need to start a nice setup. I haven't setup one yet but when I do I'm going this route. I will probably start a tread to keep track on my experiment on growing out Discus once I have time to set this up. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdrtVYBQDY

Pastry...
    I think u need to edit ur #4 post...
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

we get a million of these threads a day, search button is there for a reason. ..

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Registered Member

Pastry, that thread was a great find. I just read Chad Hughes 2009 SD contest in the archives. That was unbelievable. Water changes every 7 to 10 days, feeding BH 3 times daily...definitely not popular /conventional way but I guess it worked for him. Sounds like his stocking was light though, 6 in a 110 if i remember correctly. Plus he had established plants that help with the filtration.

Registered Member

Unfortunately, anything other than a bare bottom tank setup for raising discus is a huge no-no here by many members that live inside the box.

Chad did a great thing, he dropped the typical 2x 100% water changes down to once a week! He proved that there's more than one way to raise quality Discus.

If you read my latest thread, you'll find that I too am faced with interesting commends on the way my fry started out.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

OK folks, let me make this clear. If the OP wishes to grow out their young in a planted tank that is their choice. It is clear that the OP has kept discus before and also kept planted tanks before. Either offer constructive advice or good wishes or stay out of the discussion.

Deliberately prococative comments will not be tolerated and will result in people losing their posting privileges - I will give no more warnings.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast