AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Malaysian Trumpet Snails: Flubenadazole, Levamisole, Epsom Salt

Registered Member

Default Malaysian Trumpet Snails: Flubenadazole, Levamisole, Epsom Salt

Firstly, sorry if I’m not posting in the correct forum for this.

Most people see Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) as pests, but I like them. They clean all the crap, aerate the sand (my tank consists of sand and driftwood only), and they aren’t really visible in the daytime. Plus I’ve learned how to control their population.

That being said, it’s been a while since I’ve needed to do anything in my main tank, but I think one of my fish somehow got an internal parasite. So I treated with Flubenadazole for 3 days and he seems to be much better now... But that being said, I noticed my driftwood isn’t as ‘clean’ as it normally is. I’ve been checking for a few days and it looks like I don’t have anymor MTS.

OK, so I’m curious ... does Flubenadazole kill MTS? And as long as I am asking, what about Levamisole? Epsom salt? Do they kill MTS as well? Just want to make sure when I get more that I don’t kill them all off again
    Last edited by Heartbreaker; 04-20-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Typos and grammar

Default Re: Malaysian Trumpet Snails: Flubenadazole, Levamisole, Epsom Salt

Snails really don't like flubendazole, but I've had them survive doses up to 1/2 tsp per 20 gal. Give them another week or two for the population to recover.

I only like my mystery snails and I found out that Flubendazole will kill every last one of them but not bother the dang pond snails. I hope your MTS have good resistance to it because I decided (without evidence) is that it will only kill the snails you want.

Lets hear back from you in a couple of weeks so we can find out whether the MTS are resilient to the drug. Adam is very good on things having to do with planted tanks so I'd wager that he is correct. What dosage did you use?
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 04-20-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I did the 1/8 tsp per gallon dosage. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out and report back.

What about Epsom salt and Levamisole (not together)? I’ve always been curious if those also have an effect on them as well

That dose is really high. Did you use the 10% powder (the only stuff available if you live in the USA) or something else?

No clue on levamisole, though I doubt Epsom salt is a problem. Even regular salt at 1 tbsp/gal doesn't hurt them much.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I only like my mystery snails and I found out that Flubendazole will kill every last one of them but not bother the dang pond snails.
    Isn't that the truth. Rabbit snails also hate flubendazole...

Real Name
    Frank

If you lost that many snails, I would be concerned about all that decaying material and its impact on the water/tank quality. Should you be considering a through cleansing of the substrate? If so, I would take out the fish. Just a thought.

Real Name
    Filip

I hope your MTS have good resistance to it because I decided (without evidence) is that it will only kill the snails you want.
    I totally agree with you on this one Liz
    It's one of those Aquarium book Murphy's laws .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreaker View Post
    I did the 1/8 tsp per gallon dosage. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out and report back.
    Oops! Sorry I meant 1/8 tsp per 10 gallons... haha sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by Heartbreaker; 04-26-2019 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Repeated information

That's barely enough to kill hydra. 99% sure your snails will bounce back.

Registered Member

...Lets hear back from you in a couple of weeks so we can find out whether the MTS are resilient to the drug
    Just wanted to report back. I haven’t seen a single snail since before I posted. I think they are all gone... really surprised as well considering all I did was the 1/8 tsp per 10 gal of Flubendazole.

In any event, sadly I think it’s time to buy more. The first time I got them was from aquabid.com about 5+ years ago. Are there any reputable sellers anyone knows about ?
    Last edited by Heartbreaker; 05-06-2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Typo corrections