ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Blue Diamond Peppering/dusting problem

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Irwan

Default Blue Diamond Peppering/dusting problem

Hi All,

got a question about my 2-2.5" BD. they are starting to show peppering/dusting.

Pepper dusting.jpg

i saw the parents, they are very clean.

i suspect is the lightining to intense. it run from 7AM till 8PM. using 12watt submerged LED.

is it normal a BD dusting like this?

Registered Member

Default Re: Blue Diamond Peppering/dusting problem

Blue Diamond cross, look at the base of the tail see the black bar. Original Blue Diamond doesn't have any black coloration.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Irwan View Post
    Hi All,

got a question about my 2-2.5" BD. they are starting to show peppering/dusting.

Pepper dusting.jpg

i saw the parents, they are very clean.

i suspect is the lightining to intense. it run from 7AM till 8PM. using 12watt submerged LED.

is it normal a BD dusting like this?
    I agree with Cliff, definitely doesn't look like Blue Diamond, but thats not your typical pepper.. it is way too evenly distributed in size and location. Are all your fry like this? How about the Fry at the Breeders? Theres something off about the way the pigment is developing here. I would love to know more about the Breeder's pair.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

maybe we are seeing something kind of special. that's some unique peppering.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I agree with Cliff, definitely doesn't look like Blue Diamond, but thats not your typical pepper.. it is way too evenly distributed in size and location. Are all your fry like this? How about the Fry at the Breeders? Theres something off about the way the pigment is developing here. I would love to know more about the Breeder's pair.

al
    Ditto!! Interesting!!

I thought the same when I saw the pic. I've never seen a pepper on a BD but although I know it is a huge fault I thought that all those tiny dots looked cool.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

they almost look like hair follicles don't they. really interesting.

Inwan, what a cool picture to share on your first posts. You'll have to tell us more about the parents and follow through with the raising of the fry.

Thanks for posting.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Irwan

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Blue Diamond cross, look at the base of the tail see the black bar. Original Blue Diamond doesn't have any black coloration.

Cliff

al
    Quote Originally Posted by ODwyerPW View Post
    they almost look like hair follicles don't they. really interesting.

Inwan, what a cool picture to share on your first posts. You'll have to tell us more about the parents and follow through with the raising of the fry.

Thanks for posting.

in the tank, there are 2 batches, from two breeders and both showing this dustings.

batch A. I went to the farm to buy that juv, the breeder said the parent is F1 Hongkong, crossed with local (meaning, long time breed in Indonesia). they are very clean and shiny.

the other batch, i didn't go the farm.

i agreed with Cliff and Brewmaster, seems not a pure BD gen, they must bring other strain genetic, just wondering what is the strain?

@ODwyerPW, follow through with the raising of the fry. please tell me what do you want to know more.

thanks guys for replying

hmm.. so you have 2 batches from 2 breeders that were clean and now show these spots.

Years ago I used to use a marine based food called marine cuisine. It was a frozen food that a bunch of us used.I stopped when a tank of fry came down with black spots.. At the time I thought it was marine black spot disease as I had been feeding that food and had added some salt to the tank for stress. The fry looked similar to this. The marine version is caused by a flatworm.

There is a freshwater version as well called...diplopstomiasis... its caused by a kind of fluke and results in pigment being deposited around the fluke.

Im wondering now if you have this going on. If you have access to dewormers.. it may be worth trying one... Praziquantel maywork... or other meds that target flukes.

The salt water version reportedly is treatable with a freshwater dip.. The freshwater version may respond to a salt water dip..

I admit these are only guesses but having never seen peppering like this, ruling out parasites seems like a good idea.... plus I am curious as can be if this is in fact from a parasite.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Irwan

hmm.. so you have 2 batches from 2 breeders that were clean and now show these spots.

Years ago I used to use a marine based food called marine cuisine. It was a frozen food that a bunch of us used.I stopped when a tank of fry came down with black spots.. At the time I thought it was marine black spot disease as I had been feeding that food and had added some salt to the tank for stress. The fry looked similar to this. The marine version is caused by a flatworm.

There is a freshwater version as well called...diplopstomiasis... its caused by a kind of fluke and results in pigment being deposited around the fluke.

Im wondering now if you have this going on. If you have access to dewormers.. it may be worth trying one... Praziquantel maywork... or other meds that target flukes.

The salt water version reportedly is treatable with a freshwater dip.. The freshwater version may respond to a salt water dip..

I admit these are only guesses but having never seen peppering like this, ruling out parasites seems like a good idea.... plus I am curious as can be if this is in fact from a parasite.

Al
    you can read my reply? i thought its gone as i can not see it now

before i add more medicine, i'll go with 30%+ WC daily, and 90%+ on third day. it's gone for 4th day now, let me update after it.
    and the lightning out for 2 days today. plann to keep it off 7days.
    Last edited by Irwan; 04-23-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irwan View Post
    you can read my reply? i thought its gone as i can not see it now

before i add more medicine, i'll go with 30%+ WC daily, and 90%+ on third day. it's gone for 4th day now, let me update after it.
    and the lightning out for 2 days today. plann to keep it off 7days.

Its definitely not caused by lighting. I leave my lights on 24/7 and have never seen anything like this as a result.

however... if you are saying its gone now, that too could indicate this was a parasite. Different ones have life cycles that leave the host .. some reinfect the fish, others need a secondary host to infect first then can reinfect the fish. You mentioned "before you add more medicine" what medicine have you used and when?

Also, if the spots are gone now could you please post some pics for comparison?

thanks,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Irwan

You mentioned "before you add more medicine" what medicine have you used and when?

Also, if the spots are gone now could you please post some pics for comparison?

thanks,
    al
    Hi Al,

thanks for the replies.

i tried to remember what i've pouring in to the tank, here the last.

i just bathed them with light (0.1gr/180liter) PK (Kalium Permanganate / Potassium Permanganate / KMnO4). than i WC 90%+.
    in order to rinse completely the PK residue, i use H2O2 food grade (0.7ml/180liter).

i preety sure that H2O2 causing this.

after 2 time 90%+WC, here's this morning pic.clear BD.jpg

they showing great progress clearing those dust. but if you notice, there're several lefts at lower fin.
    maybe the next 3 days after 90%WC it can be cleaner.
    Last edited by Irwan; 04-25-2019 at 11:25 PM.