ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using powerhead / wavemaker to run filter?

Real Name
    Casper

Default Using powerhead / wavemaker to run filter?

Hello

I've been adding so much equipment and piping that I'm not happy with the reduced flow from my canisterfilter.
    I have no more room left for a bigger canister (the one I have is already a decent size), so I was thinking using an existing powerhead / wavemaker and remove the impellar in the canisterfilter.
    I have holes in the bottom of my tank, and was thinking of adding the powerhead to push the water through the system, using a prefilter to avoid bigger things getting chopped up.

Anyone have thoughts in this, maybe some problems or words of caution?

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Using powerhead / wavemaker to run filter?

I'm not sure if I understand this right but , you want to remove the current impeler of your canister and put a stronger power head in your intake to push the water through the canister instead of the original impeler ?
    It sound like a nice idea to get better flow through the canister but I'm not really sure if it works that way.
    Have you considered adding small but powerful internal filter with sponge or filter wool in it to take care of your flow and as an additional mechanical filtration?

Real Name
    Casper

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I'm not sure if I understand this right but , you want to remove the current impeler of your canister and put a stronger power head in your intake to push the water through the canister instead of the original impeler ?
    It sound like a nice idea to get better flow through the canister but I'm not really sure if it works that way.
    Have you considered adding small but powerful internal filter with sponge or filter wool in it to take care of your flow and as an additional mechanical filtration?
    You got my idea
    I kept investigating this after my post, and seems like it's quite doable.
    However, using my flowpump won't do. It moves lot's of water but has very little head (pressure) which is exactly what i need.

I would hate adding and internal filter. They take up a lot of space and are just not very pleasing to look at.

I guess I'll have to go look for an inline pump with high flowrate and head. I wish someone would make a standard canisterfilter with a good pump

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Sorry for side tracking your thread. I am not a discus expert but the most important thing to make the discus healthy and grow them to their potential is freshwater. Lot and lot of WC every day. If I was you, I will spend the efforts to design a WC system that can store water, move the water out of the tank and move the water into the tank with the least manpower involved.

Real Name
    Patty

Have you checked out Mr Big Block? Check out his internal filter in the sponsor section. It looks really nice.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by kilnakorr View Post
    You got my idea
    I kept investigating this after my post, and seems like it's quite doable.
    However, using my flowpump won't do. It moves lot's of water but has very little head (pressure) which is exactly what i need.

I would hate adding and internal filter. They take up a lot of space and are just not very pleasing to look at.

I guess I'll have to go look for an inline pump with high flowrate and head. I wish someone would make a standard canisterfilter with a good pump
    If this works out for you I'm next Casper
    I would love to have my canister flow at least doubled from where it is now , but I never believed it can be done in this way .
    I don't get the part about the head pressure though .
    Flow and pressure of the pump are two different features ?
    If so , where do we get to read the pressure level of the pump we choose ?

Registered Member

All the canister filters I have seen ‘pulled’ the water threw the filter, avoiding building up pressure in the canister. I would expect if you build up pressure in the canister it will leak around the seals.

Real Name
    Frank

Why not put the powerhead on the outtake?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

How about some HOBs instead? High flow and very easy to service.
    Koji

75 gallon bare bottom, minimalist discus tank.
    16 gallon salty with way too many BTAs and 2 clowns.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by alron2 View Post
    All the canister filters I have seen ‘pulled’ the water threw the filter, avoiding building up pressure in the canister. I would expect if you build up pressure in the canister it will leak around the seals.
    I knew it sounded to good and easy to be true .
    Never tried it my self but I sense some problems will araise from it .

Real Name
    Casper

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas, they are most welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by eugenefish View Post
    Sorry for side tracking your thread. I am not a discus expert but the most important thing to make the discus healthy and grow them to their potential is freshwater. Lot and lot of WC every day. If I was you, I will spend the efforts to design a WC system that can store water, move the water out of the tank and move the water into the tank with the least manpower involved.
    VERY true.
    However, running a planted tank a higher filtration is needed and too much freshwater is indeed great for the inhabitants but will kill the plants quickly.
    I do 40% WC 3 times a week, and so far it's been a great balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    If this works out for you I'm next Casper

I would love to have my canister flow at least doubled from where it is now , but I never believed it can be done in this way .
    I don't get the part about the head pressure though .
    Flow and pressure of the pump are two different features ?
    If so , where do we get to read the pressure level of the pump we choose ?
    Well, wavemakers / flowheads are often designed to move lots of water but not far, since they go directly in the tank.
    Most of the time the head or max lifting height is labeled on the box and/or on the pump.
    I just checked my flowpump that is rated 1200 g/hrs (adjustable) and max lifting height is 4 ft.
    Looking at a random cheaper pump at same flowrate, has a max lifting height of 10ft.

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Why not put the powerhead on the outtake?
    I am actually looking into this at the moment.
    Every design I've seen with external pumps are run before everything else, pushing water through.
    I'm not sure if pulling it instead can pose and issue or not.

Quote Originally Posted by FishFanMan View Post
    How about some HOBs instead? High flow and very easy to service.
    My tank has a total cover so HOB isn't possible.
    I'd really like the water to flow through the entire system ( I still need to add my UV light also, but have to wait until I've figured out my flow issue.

So far I'm just gonna try it out. Plan is to install the pump just before the outline to the take, pulling water through the system.
    Just need to figure out how big a pump to get

Real Name
    Filip

I'll be following your progress Casper , so please share your results here .
    The latest solution I found for better flow rate were pond canister filters. Having the same bulk as a regular big aquarium canister but much higher flow rate they should serve our purpose ,if this experiment fails .
    Our member Tobi-Swedgin already reported some positive experience on having pond instead of aquarium canister in one of his threads so that's definitely an option too.

Real Name
    Casper

Well, all tried and tested.

I got myself a Tunze pump rated 800 gl/hrs - in theory a 50% increase.
    I started by connecting it to my outlet, but it ran dry.
    Now its attached to the inlet, and runs ok.

Result a little more noise, and from what I can tell a little more flow, but not a lot.

I still have a few options to try, so will keep you posted

And yes - have been looking at pond filters also - cheap and powerful!

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Why do you want more flow through your canister?

Presumably you have your canister for mechanical and biological filtration, maybe heat and it sounds like UV sterilization. Do you have an issue with any of these parameters? If not then I'd be inclined to suggest that more flow through your canister isn't what you need. If water movement in the tank is what you want then wavemaker/powerheads are a much easier way to go.

Real Name
    Casper

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Why do you want more flow through your canister?

Presumably you have your canister for mechanical and biological filtration, maybe heat and it sounds like UV sterilization. Do you have an issue with any of these parameters? If not then I'd be inclined to suggest that more flow through your canister isn't what you need. If water movement in the tank is what you want then wavemaker/powerheads are a much easier way to go.
    You're quite right but using the increased flow through both filter, UV etc. would be much better.
    To list my setup:
    Filter to reactor with fine filter, reactor with purigen and bypass, CO2 reactor with bypass, inline heater.

It seems though the flow is noticeable better, but still considering another filter/pump loop and split things up.
    The main problem is the hose and nozzle sizes, but can't increase size as most of the eqiupment has standard connectors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast