ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Has anyone ever seen or know what this might be?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kayleigh

Default Has anyone ever seen or know what this might be?

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Last week and nothing unusual happened.. only have them 2weeks

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Turning dark and have a white/greyish patch only really noticable when dark in colour

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

I havent done anything as i dont know what it is

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

350L all under a year, have 10 of them and size is from 3inch to 5inch

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

90% every day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

2 weeks and barebottom.. have a fully cycled sponge filter in there and adding another todday

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

no as our tap water is very consistant

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __30___

- ph _7.2____

- ammonia reading ___0.5(test maybe slightly inaccurate when using prime safe)_

- nitrite reading ___0_

- nitrate reading _0___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __100%__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

no

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

discus grtan d50 plus twice a day and beefheart discusfood once a day and bloodworms once a day

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kay796; 04-23-2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added more photos

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Has anyone ever seen or know what this might be?

If your filter is fully cycled there should be some nitrates present, but that can be difficult to measure with a 90% daily water change. Having measurable ammonia with 0 nitrate though is concerning for an incomplete cycle. Prime/safe doesn't remove ammonia, just converts it to harmless ammonium so your bio filter can remove it but it is still measurable as ammonium with your ammonia test kit.
    As for the diagnosis I'm not sure so I will leave that part to another member...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Kayleigh, what you are seeing is the fish losing part of it's slime coat. You mention that the tank is two weeks old and the fish were added two weeks ago. This could be caused by a mini-cycle (tank is not fully cycled yet). The 90% WCs will certainly help keep the ammonia and nitrates down. Adding the second cycled sponge will help also. I would suggest adding two tablespoons of salt per 10 gallons to help the slime coat and aid with any nitrite poisoning.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kayleigh

Thanks for that, I had the filter in the community for a long time but obviously I had not anticipated the amount of waste for the filter so Ill set up the other one later and add some salt to help the slime coat. Would you add sea salt or aquarium salt?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by kay796 View Post
    Thanks for that, I had the filter in the community for a long time but obviously I had not anticipated the amount of waste for the filter so Ill set up the other one later and add some salt to help the slime coat. Would you add sea salt or aquarium salt?
    Whichever is handy Salt is salt.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Looking at those patches and how localized they are I think you may have either the parasite costia or bacteria ...maybe columnaris.

New fish, new tank stress and either of these disease organisms can be a problem.

Pats suggestion of salt is a good one but I would up that to 1 tablespoon per 1 gal water..Using a measuring spoon..leveled off salt. Table salt is fine. Before doing that I would do.a salt dip though... That should help alot.

Its hard to tell which this is bacteria or parasite so a little guesswork here.. Im leaning towards it being bacterial by the way its localized around the pores behind the head..
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Filip

Another thing that strikes me besides Amonia and uncycled filter is your 90% daily WCs with straight tap water. This is not a good practice IMO and you should either start aging water(whole or at least half of it ) or lessen the % of WC .
    Lastly , it may also be , that your discus has gotten some pathogen from the cycled sponges from your community tank that took advantage in their already comprimised immunity systems from Amonia and shocks from your daily big WCs with unaged water .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kayleigh

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Another thing that strikes me besides Amonia and uncycled filter is your 90% daily WCs with straight tap water. This is not a good practice IMO and you should either start aging water(whole or at least half of it ) or lessen the % of WC .
    Lastly , it may also be , that your discus has gotten some pathogen from the cycled sponges from your community tank that took advantage in their already comprimised immunity systems from Amonia and shocks from your daily big WCs with unaged water .

I wouldnt consider doing a water change less than 50% even then I would prefer near to 90 so i can get the best out of the discus. The tap water here is very consistant and out of the tap its ph is between 7 and 7.2, once its been aged its 7.2 so other than stability i dont know why i would need to age it? If there is more benefits Im all for it but from what I have read it was just to keep stability..

Real Name
    Filip

Dissolved gasses / microbubbles in the tap water that we see after WC can irritate discus. Every tap water contains dissolved gasses and if you are willing to do the 90% WC you better find a way to age and outgass your water .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kayleigh

[QUOTE=Filip;1317606]Dissolved gasses / microbubbles in the tap water that we see after WC can irritate discus. Every tap water contains dissolved gasses and if you are willing to do the 90% WC you better find a way to age and outgass your water .[/QUOTE

Thats good to know I never would have thought that at all. Ive a big bin about 100L never used so i can use that tonight to age some with heater and air stone. Is salt and aged water enough to stop the patch growing or would you recommend any meds? I had always thought it was stability reasons but as long as it helps them I dont mind. I suppose doing 90% WC would probably make matters worse until i have aged water. Since the filters would be cycled but ,maybe not up to speed on the bio load yet would you add some beneficial bacteria to help or just keep using the aged water salt and 90% WC. Thanks for the knowledge and help.

I'm not sure that is always correct, Flip. If the tap water comes from a reservoir it has already gassed off. If it comes from an underground aquifer is when you see problems.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kayleigh

I added salt to the tank last night but forgot to ask how long should I add salt for?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm not sure that is always correct, Flip. If the tap water comes from a reservoir it has already gassed off. If it comes from an underground aquifer is when you see problems.
    I think all water is treated in open top reservoirs so coming from underground won't make a difference--it's "depressurized." Then it's pressurized to 40-45 psi in the distribution system. Again, regardless of its origin.

Real Name
    Filip

Add bottled bacteria if you have some at hand . That would speed up the cycling process. Aged 100 liters + another 100-150 lit. from the tap would still make a decent WC without to many dissolved gasses in it . Find a way to push the tap water through some DIY bottle flilled with floss or sponge to further outgass during tank filling.
    Salt and clean water should be enough for a start IMO .