AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Al's Wild F1 Growouts

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Al's Wild F1 Growouts

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Because the thread began in April rather than read all of those 4 pages I fast forwarded to now. So forgive if the answer to my question is there. I began raising and breeding discus with wild. Went from the hobby for years only to come back when a long time breeder gave to me a complete set up and recommended Kenny to me. One of those Kenny's is a Stripe Alenquer that I would like to pair with a wild. Question is who is now selling 4 to 5 inch wilds which could be shipped after August?
    Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    Don't know about the August time restriction but Gabe over at Wattleydiscus.com has them on sale until July 7

Recent email
    John, we are extending our discount on all of our wilds with a 10% off Coupon. We are also including a can of Tropical Wild Discus Food!
    They are 10% off until Midnight July 7th .
    Just use the code:
    WILDWATTLEY10%

https://wattleydiscus.com/product-ca...005e-225455513
    Hi peewee, besides John's mention of Wattley above there is also Jimmy's Discus on FB who might have something left. Might be best to wait until the next wilds season starting in October of this year.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thanks, Slick. I will look into this and Pat made a good point about the October season. So thanks to you both for your knowledge and advises.

No problem peewee
    Full disclosure... I've never purchased wild discus from Gabe but I have gotten Tetras, Cory and bristlenose from him and he was very nice to work with.
    He has a few videos out there and did take time to talk to me on the phone
    Good luck and we look forward to your update later in the year

Real Name
    Pat

Here's a video of the F1s this morning before a WC. They are doing great..

Registered Member

Pat, if a tank spawned wild offspring are bred with other wild tank spawned wild offspring over several generations are those offspring still considered to be "wilds"?

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Pat, if a tank spawned wild offspring are bred with other wild tank spawned wild offspring over several generations are those offspring still considered to be "wilds"?
    Peewee, what would you call them. I only make an exception for F1s. After that they are just Cuipeua F2s. You may called them whatever you want. lol
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

I have had these guys about three months now and here is how they look the first week.

After three months they look like this. Slow growing as Al predicated but a solid 2.5 inches now.

Real Name
    Pat

I broke down and bought these guys some live blackworms and the group sizewise is between 2.5 to 3 inches. Starting to see blue striations forming for the foreheads and a hint of red in the eye.

_D851167-2.jpg

Black worms will put some size on them, looking good Pat

The one you took a close up is a very nice fish but you can still see wild characteristics. I know that they are still young that that big boy is maybe fond of a very good slightly smaller one. I can't wait to see the F2's.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan

Pat,

Can you tell a little more about feeding the live worms? Where do you buy them from, and do you treat them somehow before feeding?

Thanks

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Black worms will put some size on them, looking good Pat
    Thanks Al and why I decided to try live blackworms again...for the growth aspect.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    The one you took a close up is a very nice fish but you can still see wild characteristics. I know that they are still young that that big boy is maybe fond of a very good slightly smaller one. I can't wait to see the F2's.
    Thanks Liz, me too. First lets get these guys up to breeding size. I wonder if they will breed earlier then their wild parents i.e. before two years of age.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by guggas View Post
    Pat,

Can you tell a little more about feeding the live worms? Where do you buy them from, and do you treat them somehow before feeding?

Thanks
    Hi Ryan, the fish love live blackworms and grow well. However there is a risk with feeding any live aquatic food as it can in unwanted stuff and many folks have swore off blackworms when they did run into issues. I know that Al does not feed any live foods due to the risk.

There are two sources for live blackworms, California blackworms and Eastern Aquatics. It is not cheap food and best to be at the house with the worms arrive so they did not sit in the heat this time of year. Worms are shipped with a cold pack. The worms need to be kept clean and in the frig. I keep mine in a large tupperware in a half inch of water (thank you Brian). You can buy worm keepers. The worms come with friends, leeches and the white things you can see in the video in post 68. I siphon those out after the fish scatter the worms with a small diameter hose into a bucket. It is very important to keep the water the worms are in clean and cold. I rinse the worms at least twice a day. If you have a spouse who do not like the thought of the worms in the frig, get a mini-frig for the worms.
    hths,
    Pat

Worms in my fridge give me the "che schifo".. What if there's a jailbreak?!?!

California Blackworms also have Blackworm flake and pellets which are readily accepted by all my fish.
    I find these to be even better than Freezedried which are a hassle to feed and sometimes cause head standing no matter how much you presoak

For me this is a much better option... and at a lower cost with no additional work or risk.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast