AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Al's Wild F1 Growouts

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Al's Wild F1 Growouts

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    Worms in my fridge give me the "che schifo".. What if there's a jailbreak?!?!

California Blackworms also have Blackworm flake and pellets which are readily accepted by all my fish.
    I find these to be even better than Freezedried which are a hassle to feed and sometimes cause head standing no matter how much you presoak

For me this is a much better option... and at a lower cost with no additional work or risk.
    John, I have never had "head standing" issues feeding Al's freeze dried blackworms and the only time I have soaked them was when feeding fines to small fry. As to feeding the live blackworms I have already stated why I am doing that. To each their own.

Personally I am looking forward to the next couple months with these F1s. Some large changes coming soon I think
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    John, I have never had "head standing" issues feeding Al's freeze dried blackworms and the only time I have soaked them was when feeding fines to small fry. As to feeding the live blackworms I have already stated why I am doing that. To each their own.

Personally I am looking forward to the next couple months with these F1s. Some large changes coming soon I think
    Pat
    I'm sure your fish appreciate the extra effort it takes to feed live food. ��

As for the headstanding with Freezedried it seems to only affect certain fish and only last an hour or two after feeding. I found it helps to feed a little flake and pellet before and after. I've seen this many times and with FD Bloodworms as well... which I stopped feeding years ago because of this.
    I soak because it seems to help with the headstanding and I just don't think a fishes digestive system is prepared for foods so void of moisture.

Real Name
    Pat

I'm sure your fish appreciate the extra effort it takes to feed live food. ��

As for the headstanding with Freezedried it seems to only affect certain fish and only last an hour or two after feeding. I found it helps to feed a little flake and pellet before and after. I've seen this many times and with FD Bloodworms as well... which I stopped feeding years ago because of this.
    I soak because it seems to help with the headstanding and I just don't think a fishes digestive system is prepared for foods so void of moisture.
    Hmmm, I do not really hear about head standing in relation to feeding freeze dried foods John. Perhaps there is something unique about your particular situation.
    Pat

Perhaps, but I wouldn't know how else to explain it.
    Additionally, maybe I'm using "headstand" in other than the typical manner.
    I'd say in 15 years I've seen it about a 20 times, usually affecting the same fish in a particular group and only witnessed after feeding freeze dried worms . Within 30 minutes of feeding the fish will point its nose about 45° downward and seem to do a bob in place. It can swim normally around the tank, but when stationary it will revert back to the nose_down bobbing. This will last up to two hours and then the fish will be perfectly normal again.
    This has only been witnessed after feeding freeze dried worms. After taking the precautions of a long soaking and pre and post feeding other foods it happens with much less frequency and less server in those rare occurrences
    I haven't witnessed it with Al's fdblkw, but I have with California fdblkw and SanFran fdbldw

Real Name
    Pat

Perhaps, but I wouldn't know how else to explain it.
    Additionally, maybe I'm using "headstand" in other than the typical manner.
    I'd say in 15 years I've seen it about a 20 times, usually affecting the same fish in a particular group and only witnessed after feeding freeze dried worms . Within 30 minutes of feeding the fish will point its nose about 45° downward and seem to do a bob in place. It can swim normally around the tank, but when stationary it will revert back to the nose_down bobbing. This will last up to two hours and then the fish will be perfectly normal again.
    This has only been witnessed after feeding freeze dried worms. After taking the precautions of a long soaking and pre and post feeding other foods it happens with much less frequency and less server in those rare occurrences
    I haven't witnessed it with Al's fdblkw, but I have with California fdblkw and SanFran fdbldw
    The few times I have ordered California FDBWs (quite a while ago) I have noted that they are larger then Al's so maybe that is the difference. To me when a fish points it's head downward it is uncomfortable. I do not worry about it unless it continues for a day or more.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    The few times I have ordered California FDBWs (quite a while ago) I have noted that they are larger then Al's so maybe that is the difference. To me when a fish points it's head downward it is uncomfortable. I do not worry about it unless it continues for a day or more.
    Pat
    I agree, and that's the impression that I get....That the fish is uncomfortable from eating the worms. Like a Thanksgiving feeling. :-D
    I've never lost a fish over it or worry as I now know how to counter act it. That said, why make them uncomfortable?
    After the recent discovery of the Blackworm pellets and flake... I think I am done with Freezedried after this batch.

I'd add to the previous post that it seemed to affect the larger more aggressive eaters... Leading me to think that the fish that got more than their share paid the price.

I've fed freeze dried from Dan since shortly after he was offering them. Now I feed Al's. I just stick the cube on the glass. I have never ever had a fish look strange in any way, I'd I've had a lot of fish in that time.

Before that, I would feed Dan's live. I generally bought 2 lbs at a time. Often I would rinse them 2 times a day for around 3 or 4 days when they looked like good healthy worms. Then I would move to once a day rinsing. Since I could get 2 lbs at a time and could afford them, I even wasted them on stupid Angelfish. I wish I could afford them now. IMO they are the most nearly perfect food I have ever fed.
    Mama Bear

Hey Liz
    Al's fd worms seem to be of better quality then Cali Blckwm. They don't look bleached and are darker and meatier.
    And I'm sure the angels didn't think you were stupid ;-)

Pat. . . 9 bars. siblings or cousins???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Pat

Guessing those are the wild green/SS crosses John. All nine bar.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 08-17-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Real Name
    Pat

John, post some of the wild F1s please.
    Pat

Real Name
    Brian

Yes, F1's please

The others have 14 bars
    do you see why I am confused?? :-D

Ok. . .after a double feeding they are a little more relaxed. Not sure if I'm duplicating as they are still very active.
    you can see Andy in the back of one of the photos. . he's eating but has made zero improvement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Pat

Hi John, so the first group of pics you posted are the wild green/snakeskin (14 bars) crosses so guessing you have four nine bar and two 14 bar. The second group are the wild F1s and they are all nine bar. Everyone is looking good.
    Pat

Thanks Pat
    They really don't sit still for a second and it's hard to seperate them visually.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast