ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Al's Wild F1 Growouts

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Al's Wild F1 Growouts

Hi Frank, Liz gave you some great information about live blackworms. You can get them from Dan (Ca blackworm) but only in small qualities. The week I started feeding live blackworm I could only get 1/4 pound (~$52 which includes shipping overnight) which I stretched into lasting a week. Brian (jeep) suggested Eastern Aquatics and I have been getting one pound every two weeks and their price is ~$63 for one pound which also includes overnight shipping. Craig at Eastern Aquatics is quite direct (almost to the point of being rude) about being home when the worms arrive. They have a live guarantee but with strict enforcement that you receive the worms at delivery time.

It is very important that the worms are kept in the frig and rinsed with clean water one or two times daily. I rinse mine every time I feed so about three times or so. If you decide to try them read up on their care. Also get aware the worms come with friends, leeches and some type of white thing.
    hths
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Pat, I looked up Eastern Aquatics web site. They look and sound excellent. Loved the pics of their ponds and the prices are within reason, considering. I can't buy anything this month except necessities but I'll see how next month looks around the 15th when it's time to tackle my bills.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks Pat & Liz. Excellent information. Looks a little costly. I am going to take a look.
    Plus, I will probably have to buy a refrigerator for the garage. LOL!!!

I just hope my discus do not read this forum. They don’t know what they are missing!

They'll find out what they have been missing soon. You'll become as addicted to watch them eat as they will be eating the darned stuff.
    Buy one of those small fridges and use it as a beer fridge, too. I have one of those but I don't mind keeping the worms in the fridge along with my food beer. It's not like they smell or crawl out.

Obviously I'm not squeamish.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 08-26-2019 at 07:24 PM.
    Mama Bear

OMG... just saw video update from yesterday. Sooo jealous! Love seeing the hints of color development. Also, I'm no card carrying discus judge but I love the shape of them! Definitely my taste. This stage (IMO) is when you see big differences if you take pics every 2 weeks for a few months since color is coming in, fins of some may get more pronounced, shape for some (presumably males) may slightly change, and the "bully" title may change 2 or 3 times.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Thanks Pat & Liz. Excellent information. Looks a little costly. I am going to take a look.
    Plus, I will probably have to buy a refrigerator for the garage. LOL!!!

I just hope my discus do not read this forum. They don’t know what they are missing!
    Frank, my spouse bought me a tiny frig for the worm for about $70. He hates the worms in the kitchen frig.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    OMG... just saw video update from yesterday. Sooo jealous! Love seeing the hints of color development. Also, I'm no card carrying discus judge but I love the shape of them! Definitely my taste. This stage (IMO) is when you see big differences if you take pics every 2 weeks for a few months since color is coming in, fins of some may get more pronounced, shape for some (presumably males) may slightly change, and the "bully" title may change 2 or 3 times.
    Thank Elliot and it is the start of exciting times with these little ones. They will start to develop color and soon we should be able to determine the solid ones from the striated ones.
    Pat

Real Name
    Brian

They've come a long way in a short time in both size and shape!!

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    They've come a long way in a short time in both size and shape!!
    I appreciate your assist along the way Brian You have been most helpful.
    Pat

Registered Member

Wouldn't fdbw be just as nutritious as live and with less chance of disease
    non of the hassle with cleaning,ect.?
    Jay

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Wouldn't fdbw be just as nutritious as live and with less chance of disease
    non of the hassle with cleaning,ect.?
    Jay
    Perhaps Jay and something I am trying now. I am on the backside of the Dorian and did not lose power so have resumed feeding fish. I ran out of live black worms yesterday and am considering the risk vs reward aspect of feeding live black worms.
    Pat

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Frank, Liz gave you some great information about live blackworms. You can get them from Dan (Ca blackworm) but only in small qualities. The week I started feeding live blackworm I could only get 1/4 pound (~$52 which includes shipping overnight) which I stretched into lasting a week. Brian (jeep) suggested Eastern Aquatics and I have been getting one pound every two weeks and their price is ~$63 for one pound which also includes overnight shipping. Craig at Eastern Aquatics is quite direct (almost to the point of being rude) about being home when the worms arrive. They have a live guarantee but with strict enforcement that you receive the worms at delivery time.

It is very important that the worms are kept in the frig and rinsed with clean water one or two times daily. I rinse mine every time I feed so about three times or so. If you decide to try them read up on their care. Also get aware the worms come with friends, leeches and some type of white thing.
    hths
    Pat
    Keep in mind that Jack Wattley sells a worm basket that makes it unbelievably easy to keep the worms clean. I'm not sure if he ships his worms, but I buy them at a really good rate.

Also, someone mentioned the pricing being too much, but 1lb of black worms is a heck of a lot of worms. Ultimately, the pricing is fair. To stretch or make it last longer, you could feed black worms once a day. I like to keep a varied diet; I do Als' fdbw in the mornings, tetra bits twice a day - mid day, frozen blood worms when I get home from work and then live black worms late at night.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Pat, I just read the entire thread and I'm so happy for you!

It would be lovely if, later in your growout, you could do a comparison between the f1 wilds and the domestics you just grew out. From what I saw at the beginning of this thread, f1 wilds cannot be power fed compared to the domestics? I know that wilds grow at a slower rate than domestics.

great job so far !! I love your threads.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Keep in mind that Jack Wattley sells a worm basket that makes it unbelievably easy to keep the worms clean. I'm not sure if he ships his worms, but I buy them at a really good rate.

Also, someone mentioned the pricing being too much, but 1lb of black worms is a heck of a lot of worms. Ultimately, the pricing is fair. To stretch or make it last longer, you could feed black worms once a day. I like to keep a varied diet; I do Als' fdbw in the mornings, tetra bits twice a day - mid day, frozen blood worms when I get home from work and then live black worms late at night.
    I have the worm keepers so no issue there. I can easily make a pound of blackworms last for two weeks. A recent conversation with a friends has me weighting the risk vs reward. More on that later.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Pat, I just read the entire thread and I'm so happy for you!

It would be lovely if, later in your growout, you could do a comparison between the f1 wilds and the domestics you just grew out. From what I saw at the beginning of this thread, f1 wilds cannot be power fed compared to the domestics? I know that wilds grow at a slower rate than domestics.

great job so far !! I love your threads.
    Thank you Mando and I may do that, good idea.
    Pat

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast