ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pat's Southwest Photo Tour

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

Default Re: Pat's Southwest Photo Tour

Amazing shots Pat! That is exactly what that lizard is (a chuckwalla) I know because my friend and I used to go out into the desert and catch them when I lived in Vegas. That was many,many moons ago when you licked postage stamps and used pay phones! dont know where my life went! LOL! Amazing photos though, it could pass for a Nat Geo spread!

Terrific photos as always, Pat. This is definitely the right time of year to check out AZ

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    The inside cave/ secret canyon photos looks almost sureal Pat . Hat off for your photo skills .
    Thank Filip, it is an interesting place to shoot. A slot canyon is full of dust and is rather dark so you have to shoot on a tripod with longer shutter speeds to capture enough light for the image. We arrived at the canyon late morning with the sun overhead to capture the best light possible. When you get back to the hotel room you clean your camera gear carefully due to the micro dust from the canyon.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Flow Tamer View Post
    Amazing shots Pat! That is exactly what that lizard is (a chuckwalla) I know because my friend and I used to go out into the desert and catch them when I lived in Vegas. That was many,many moons ago when you licked postage stamps and used pay phones! dont know where my life went! LOL! Amazing photos though, it could pass for a Nat Geo spread!
    That you Walt, that was a big lizard, it was about a foot long. I could not get close to it. How did you catch them? I remember those days lol.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Terrific photos as always, Pat. This is definitely the right time of year to check out AZ
    Thank you Adam
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

The first day closed with this beautiful sky.

Sunset near Page AZ.

Real Name
    Pat

This was the best the sunrise offered on the second day. That is Navajo Mountain with Crested Butte in the foreground.

Sunrise on the Second day.

A few features while walking around during the morning.

Real Name
    Pat

In the afternoon we went to a place called the Rock Factory. A super cool place with near and far objects. Here's a pano to get a feel for the place. We even found critters in the rock faces.

Pano of the Rock Factory near Page AZ.

Desert penguin at the Rock Factory

Desert dolphin. The Dolphin was totally created from shadows in the rock

Rock Composition at the Rock Factory

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

Hey Pat, catching the chuckwalla was not easy,they were lightening fast and didnt stray far from cover. you had to get in some ledges above them and set a snare with thin soft rope, you would lay the snare out in a circle where they had been sunning themselves and wait for them to predictably re-emerge from the hole you spooked them into. Since you set up on the ledge above them they couldnt see you and would walk right on top of the circular snare you set. At that point you just pulled up quickly, lotta misses needles to say. We saw some local kids doing it and just copied them. they were protected so we would take them home for a couple weeks and feed them earthworms and crickets and then release them! Crazy sunburns we got doin' that but we had fun, I always loved the outdoors! Sounds like the story of a 10 year old right, I was doin that in my early 20's!

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Flow Tamer View Post
    Hey Pat, catching the chuckwalla was not easy,they were lightening fast and didnt stray far from cover. you had to get in some ledges above them and set a snare with thin soft rope, you would lay the snare out in a circle where they had been sunning themselves and wait for them to predictably re-emerge from the hole you spooked them into. Since you set up on the ledge above them they couldnt see you and would walk right on top of the circular snare you set. At that point you just pulled up quickly, lotta misses needles to say. We saw some local kids doing it and just copied them. they were protected so we would take them home for a couple weeks and feed them earthworms and crickets and then release them! Crazy sunburns we got doin' that but we had fun, I always loved the outdoors! Sounds like the story of a 10 year old right, I was doin that in my early 20's!
    That is quite a procedure Walt. I have caught lizards by hand since I was a kid. I still do it. I caught this guy at the Rock Factory but let him go after we took it's picture.

Horned Lizard at the Rock Factory.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

Beautiful Creature Pat! All of the horned lizards have amazing character, I never caught one, it used to bum me out when I caused lizards to drop their tail during capture, the Anoles in Florida used to do it all the time when we were kids and the skinks we have in the northeast are almost impossible to capture without a "tail drop"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12