ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: stocking list...

Registered Member

Default stocking list...

Hows this for a planted/sand substrate/driftwood 135 gallon, 6 feet long tank.

10-12 discus
    20-25 cardinal tetras
    8-10 cory sterbais
    5-6 small plecos that don't go over 4"

Should I have more or less on any of them? Thanks

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: stocking list...

That’s a great combo you’ve chosen. I’ve heard some people report their discus eating smaller baby cardinals, but when I see them in a tank with discus, it’s really gorgeous. The Cory Dora’s are great clean up crews, but are so cute in a group the way they swim together. Each one adds an interesting and fun element to the tank. I have Cories, cardinals, and 1 super red bristlenose pleco (that I got from Adam)in my planted angel tank and love them. Hopefully Adam will see this post. There may be a territorial problem among male Bristlenose Plecos if you’re thinking of 4. He would be able to address that much better than I.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

So I only have a 10gallon quarantine tank. I already have some discus in the main tank. Should I get the corys first and quarantine them? or should I get the cardinal tetras first. Or do you think I can quarantine the corys, while I just put the tetras in the main tank? I rather not order them separately and have to pay the shipping fee twice.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I think read on SD somewhere that tetras are notorious for carrying nasties...I would not do that until you here from someone who has more knowledge than me...

If you plan to add more discus to the main tank I would suggest QT'ing them and getting them all in 1st...though a 10 gal tank is not really appropriate to QT discus unless you're talking small ones...

Daniel, any fish can have nasties. Always a risk with any fish. Tetras are great for early detection of water problems.
    -Elliot

Very close to my setup... I've been keeping that basic group +/- some angels, rummynose and a lot more Cardinals for many years.
    Get your fish from a reputable source and quarantine and you shouldn't have any problems. I may have been lucky but I've never had tetra - discus problems other then the discus will pick off a slow one in the morning..
    If you keep up with water changes you can qt the fish all at once.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    Very close to my setup... I've been keeping that basic group +/- some angels, rummynose and a lot more Cardinals for many years.
    Get your fish from a reputable source and quarantine and you shouldn't have any problems. I may have been lucky but I've never had tetra - discus problems other then the discus will pick off a slow one in the morning..
    If you keep up with water changes you can qt the fish all at once.
    So after getting 30 cardinals in my quarantine tank, it doesn't seem much. How many tetras do you have in your tank? Problem is mine are like 1/2" so trying to grow them out right now first. But I think I can get 2 or 3x more.

I have 350+ and about 50 Rummynose in my 150g.
    Keep in mind even though they are tiny they do create a bioload.