ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hakari Bloodworms and Beefheat

Registered Member

Default Hakari Bloodworms and Beefheat

With all my fry success I find myself spending too much $$. I will start to make beefheart. Has anyone purchased from the butcher? Can I ask them to grind it up? If so what setting. Or what setting do you guys use? Same as hamburger.

Also what brand Bloodworms do you use. I'm using the Hakari brand and it seems mostly water. What brands have you guys found use the less water aka more product.

Thank you

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Hakari Bloodworms and Beefheat

I used to buy whole beef hearts from the local grocery chain (Cub Foods). Just had to call the meat department so they can order it. However, you'll need to hack away all the membranes, blood vessels, fat, etc., which removes about 1/3rd to 1/2 of the total heart. I ground the rest in a food processor. So it's not a matter of asking your butcher to just grind up a beef heart. I found it a lot easier to pay the price for ground beefheart.

The only reason beef heart was used was because it had the lowest fat content. Today, there is extra lean ground beef that you can use. The Excel brand comes in a roll and is available as 93% lean.

I only use bloodworms as the last feeding of the day or if the fish go on a hunger strike. It doesn't provide much nutrition at all.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mervin

I buy the freeze dried blood worms on Amazon. A lot cheaper in bulk and offer a higher protein than wet worms that are mostly water. They are also a lot cheaper than black worms. Look at the protein in both. Beef heart is cheap and messy and not really needed for growth. Discus will grow big without it. If that's the way you want to do it; like above I've used a food processor to grind things up.

Real Name
    Frank

I was recommended on the board to try beef heart flakes. My fish took to them and experienced better growth. I use Al's black worms, beef heart flakes, and Hikari bloodworms as snack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Registered Member

I usually have a local butcher store order and grind
    up the beefheart , usually they run the BH twice through the grinder. If BH are not a available then the next source would be the vendor but it's a order

around 50 pounds deliver by FedEx.

For the blood worms usually I order one case from
    my local fish store or from an wholesaler.

Maybe you can try some white worms they are cheap to
    maintain just water and bread.

Cliff

Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 04-30-2019 at 11:39 PM.