AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 - day Metronidazole treatment

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Default 10 - day Metronidazole treatment

How many days into the 10 treatment do you usually still find white feces? Just starting day 7 and am basically curious if my fish are on the correct path.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: 10 - day Metronidazole treatment

Hi MKCall, can you tell us what is happening with your fish? Also what is your temp?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Bought 5 discus from the LFS and in midst of the 6 week quarantine process, a couple of them started to become uninterested in food, hanging in the corners and sure enough soon to follow was some white feces. After a some research through this forum I decided it appeared closest to Hex. I struggled at the time to find where to purchase Metro as the websites I was looking through wanted a prescription. I purchased a bulk container of API's General Cure and begun the 10 day medication treatment. Yes I am aware that API's is two meds and may not be as strong as using pure Metro but at the time I did not find the links on this forum to purchase pure Metro. I have just begun day 7 of the 10 treatment, currently 500mg of Metro per 10 gallon every 8-10ish hours with a 50% water changes before the next medication is added. On the morning of day 6 I did see 1 tiny spot of white feces on the bottom of the tank which made me wonder... How many days into the treatment could you still be finding white feces? After searching around I am unable to find where this question has ever been asked. The fish that clearly had the white feces are beginning to bounce back and appear to gain a small appetite. Feeding a mix of FDBW, beef heart flakes, Omega One discus pellets, Cobalt Discus Hans premium flakes, and I have went away from the frozen blood worms since seeing the signs of hex. Current temp is 91-92F while medicating.

Real Name
    Pat

It sounds like your fish are on the right track. I would suggest continuing the metro for 12 days (vs 10). Also continue the heat treatment for about another week after the metro treatment is done. You want the fish to be eating well before returning the heat to it's normal temp.
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Thank you Pat!

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by MKCall View Post
    Thank you Pat!
    You are welcome Matt
    Pat

Real Name
    Filip

Most important thing is they started eating again Mkcall .
    They should slowly recover from the white poop too as they regain their full appetite back .
    There is no time frame in recovery process .
    I've had discus having their first bite a full week after finishing the 12 day metro course , so you might consider your results as quick and sucfesfull response .

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    It sounds like your fish are on the right track. I would suggest continuing the metro for 12 days (vs 10). Also continue the heat treatment for about another week after the metro treatment is done. You want the fish to be eating well before returning the heat to it's normal temp.
    Pat
    When Pat gives advice it is always good advice. Glad to hear that your fish are doing well again.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

I will be adjusting the 12 day as suggested... Still have one discus (Largest 5"ish) that hasn't eaten, I know its not as big of a deal as what it feels like. On the afternoon of day 10, I did find a very tiny bit of white jelly on the bottom, which was a little discouraging. Two of my younger (2 & 1/2") have also picked up some really labored breathing, I did add a little aquarium salt and reduce the heat a little as I fear that they may have picked up a secondary bacterial infection. Is that possible or common?

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Matt, the breathing of younger discus is naturally faster then adults and warmer temps will elevate their breathing even more. Best to add more air and maintain the heat IMO.
    Pat

Real Name
    Filip

I will be adjusting the 12 day as suggested... Still have one discus (Largest 5"ish) that hasn't eaten, I know its not as big of a deal as what it feels like. On the afternoon of day 10, I did find a very tiny bit of white jelly on the bottom, which was a little discouraging. Two of my younger (2 & 1/2") have also picked up some really labored breathing, I did add a little aquarium salt and reduce the heat a little as I fear that they may have picked up a secondary bacterial infection. Is that possible or common?
    Yes its possible .Laboured breathing sonuds more like protozoan than bacterial to me though .
    You did the right thing adding a bit salt and lowering the temp . to ease their breathing .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Pat, the rapid breathing didn't really concern me. I would defiantly call this labored breathing with both gills opening wide and a long pronounced "breath". I forgot to mention that I did lower by water level a little also. Just enough for my HOB to create a strong ripple at the top of the water and not create an abundance of micro bubbles.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Yes its possible .Laboured breathing sonuds more like protozoan than bacterial to me though .
    You did the right thing adding a bit salt and lowering the temp . to ease their breathing .
    Time will tell! Thanks Filip

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Pat, the rapid breathing didn't really concern me. I would defiantly call this labored breathing with both gills opening wide and a long pronounced "breath". I forgot to mention that I did lower by water level a little also. Just enough for my HOB to create a strong ripple at the top of the water and not create an abundance of micro bubbles.
    Hi Matt, you will see the wide open gill more pronounced during feeding with juvie discus. I noted the same with my contest fish and queried Al about it and Al said that was normal as the fish are expelling more ammonia during feeding.
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Is it common to still be seeing some signs of Hex this late (day 10)? Truthfully it was tiny, but still visible. Just don't want to cut treatment to short.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast