ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: I've had it up to here with roosters

Default I've had it up to here with roosters

I do love the cock-a-doodle-do, but that't it. They have only one thing on their minds. My poor hens do their best to run from them but they still get nailed and they don't like it. They're child molesters. They go after my 8 week old chicks!

I said that I was going to make soup out of Sweetie, but y'all changed my mind and she is a happy pet. I don't think that you'll change my mind about these roosters. I can buy all females from Cackle Hatchery. They are right on the sex 90% of the time.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: I've had it up to here with rooters

Liz,
    Did you realize that rooters can be converted into ‘its’, similar to bulls into steers.
    Ron

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: I've had it up to here with rooters

Quote Originally Posted by alron2 View Post
    Liz,
    Did you realize that rooters can be converted into ‘its’, similar to bulls into steers.
    Ron
    Looks like Liz has a new DIY project! Lol
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: I've had it up to here with roosters

A gelded rooster is called a capon in case anyone wants to look it up.

Liz, I fixed your title
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

Very interesting procedure and no sterile technique needed. Just learned something new.

I'd rather wring their dam necks than go to all that trouble for them. They are not like Sweetie. They are not pets. Besides, I understand that roosters make the very best soup.
    Mama Bear

LMAO... my kids hate our rooster, Elvis. He's obnoxious to them. And yep he only has one thing on his mind. but mine does spread his attentions around a bit.. He is just doing his job.

I have to admit I like Elvis better than any of our hens. Aside from being a really great looking bird, he has personality, if you can call it that. He responds to his name for me, and usually greets me with fluffed up feathers and a classic rooster call. I get a kick out of how fast he comes tearing out of a coop if he thinks his ladies are in trouble. And it cracks me up the way the he gets into calling duels with this roosters in the neighbors yard.

I won't try and persuade you to keep your roosters Liz, they are a handful, but I kept hens for years without one, Having a rooster with a flock just makes it right in my book.

Maybe try keeping just one rooster. I can't imagine having two or more in a flock, it would be a testosterone battle everyday and may actually increase their attention to your girls as they vie for dominance.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

One thing I didn't mention Al, is that in the group of 20 day old pullets I ordered one is turning into a rooster. If I do away with the 2 adults now, Sweetie will be able to play outside with the existing chickens. I'd love for her to get to the point where she would sleep in the chicken house with the other girls. I pick up a good bit of chicken poop as it is. By the time the new guy is old enough to crow I will have 24 laying age hens. He'll have his job cut out for him just keeping up.

So I have decided for sure that I will do the deed. I hate having to kill warm blooded animals, but doing it will be best for everyone involved. I love a good chicken soup.
    Mama Bear

Sounds like both a wise and tasty plan Liz.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

OK. I'll make myself do the job Saturday. I need to learn how to do this. I will print out the wonderful step by step instructions I found on the chicken forum.
    Mama Bear

I forgot to update after I did the job Saturday. Sorry.

I caught the boys at night while they were roosting. It's easiest to catch them. They must sleep hard because all you have to do it pick them up and tuck them under your arm. Then I put them each in separate cages. They didn't peep.

I had bad dreams all night. When I got up, I knew that I had to do what I had to do. I fortified myself with a cup of coffee and grabbed the dominant rooster. He was the worst so I wanted to do him first. The SOB got away from me when I reached in the cage for him. I cursed. I was more prepared when I went to catch the other one. I didn't let him get around me. I carried him by up-side-down by the legs and took him out to the killing cone. He was too big. He didn't fit. So hung him from the nail in the tree. He was totally passive but I was hating this the whole time, but I had decided that I had to do the right thing. I took a scalpel and cut his neck so that all the blood would drain out. When he started to flop a just a bit lowered him so he would flop in the bucket.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 05-09-2019 at 03:11 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

I think the chicken lady would have liked to have met your roosters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDYnFy4rCJY

She'd have kept them busy.
    Mama Bear