AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: When do Fry begin to show real color

Registered Member

Default When do Fry begin to show real color

I read on how discus show color fully in a year. My question is how long does it normally take for them to show color in there body's. I have a King Flora (female) and a Red (male). The Flora looking ones show a little blue in the face. They layed eggs on March 4. They are about 1.5 to inches.

Registered Member

Default Re: When do Fry begin to show real color

With all the experience here I am wondering why not one person response to my question. It seems like a question that people would really be interested it knowing.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Lewjo. Hi suspect folks just have't kept close track of that. Nothing personal. I think the Growout Challenge thread is a good place to look. I skimmed Pat's thread and it looked to be about 3 to 4 months before they really started showing their blue. A couple more months and you can see the color variations really developing. By one year I expect you would see pretty good coloring, although I bet there are some strains that might take longer.

Registered Member

Usually 12 to 14 months you should see maximum
    color development, but without knowing the genetic history of each Discus it's difficult to determine the future color.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 05-08-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

TBH I waited for some experienced breeder that have raised lots of different strains of discus to chime in first.
    My oppinion is that colouring is totally dependable and variable between different strains and genetics .
    I've seen super colour saturated discus on 3- 4 months age and I also have seen slow colouring in 10- 12 months old .
    I know this won't be the super helpful answer you were searching for but still .... My 2 cents.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    TBH I waited for some experienced breeder that have raised lots of different strains of discus to chime in first.
    My oppinion is that colouring is totally dependable and variable between different strains and genetics .
    I've seen super colour saturated discus on 3- 4 months age and I also have seen slow colouring in 10- 12 months old .
    I know this won't be the super helpful answer you were searching for but still .... My 2 cents.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    I read on how discus show color fully in a year. My question is how long does it normally take for them to show color in there body's. I have a King Flora (female) and a Red (male). The Flora looking ones show a little blue in the face. They layed eggs on March 4. They are about 1.5 to inches.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post. Are you saying that your discus layed eggs at 1.5 inches? Impossible.
    AS to your main question, it varies all over the place. I have bss now at about 3-1/2 mts. and there showing
    some real coloe. I have other fish that took a year. Best to have patience and wait and see.

Early on take pictures at least once every other week. After about six months you can take pictures once a month. Post them on here because you will actually see them develop that way rather than in real time when it is like watching water waiting for it to boil
    -Elliot