ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I slaughtered my first chicken today...

Default I slaughtered my first chicken today...

...and I'm quite proud of myself. It was a 2 year old rooster. I have 2, and thanks to predators, I'm down to just 6 hens. The poor hens had no feathers on their backs due to the roosters always wanting to do their thing. The roosters were even trying to screw my 6 week old pullets! The poor females couldn't stand it and neither could I.

I was raised in suburbia. Everyone including my family were fancy upper middle class people. I never fit in there. I always yearned to be a country bumpkin. I have finally reached my goal in life.

It wasn't hard on me emotionally while I was doing it because I followed the instructions on my chicken forum to the tee. The rooster never showed any sign of stress. He never made a peep. Now that it has been done and is over with, I feel wound up like a tight spring, so I guess I suffered after all I'll get over it and feel normal tomorrow.

I know now how to do it and that I can do it and that I can get a few excellent meals from it. I found an excellent recipe for coq au vin on Epicurious. That recipe is supposed to me made with a tough old free range rooster.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Casper

Default Re: I slaughtered my first chicken today...

Not sure how to respond. 'Congratulations' doesn't seem right.
    I've done this quite a few times in my young days, working at an 'after-school' place with lots of different animals.
    I remember at springtime we had to decimate the newly hatched chickens. That wasn't funny at all.
    I hope you'll have some great meals, enjoying something you have raised yourself

I think that is different from doing it for a job. I wouldn't have the heart do it as a job. I did it because the rooster was causing problems. I could have chopped of his head and stuck him in the freezer until garbage day. I am better than that. I put him to good use and he will be delicious.

I just tasted the stock that I made from him. A grocery store chicken carcass stock can't even approach it's flavor. Store bought chicken stock tastes like water compared. I know that when I cook his meaty parts in wine and this amazing stock cooked all day in a 200 degree oven, having to do it will have been worth it. I will buy an excellent wine to cook him in. He will make the most flavorful coq au vin and now I know I can do it again when I have a problem chicken.

Congratulations are indeed in order. It's not like this was not easy for me.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 05-04-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Liz, you did what was needed and what was best for your hens and Sweetie.

As a kid one Easter my parents got me and my two sisters three young rabbits. At about six months of age we had the vet sex the rabbits. Sure enough we had two does and buck. The buck was mine and I understood why the rabbit had turned mean (remember I was a kid). So after thinking about I suggested to my dad that perhaps it was best for the buck to go and explained my reasons and my dad agreed. So Buck went into the stew pot and was a very tasty fellow. It was the right decision.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks, Pat. I needed that.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

I hope my cartoon wasn't in too bad of taste (LMK), but I'm feeling for you, Liz.

It wasn't, Steve.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Reminds me of the time I run over my ganders head (male goose) with my car tire. He had a habit of chasing cars. He was a nasty bold leader of the flock. He was a tasty fella too.

Real Name
    Willie

This is the funniest thread title since "I saved a chicken today"!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Besides doing what needed doing Liz, an important final result will be the taste pleasure you'll get out of it too !

Paul, check out the recipe for coq au vin on Epicurious.com. That's the recipe I'll be using except I'll be using a Pinot Noir and adding pearl onions. Care to fly down to Mississippi for dinner Tuesday? I'll put you up. You won't find a Motel in Rainey Community, lol.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

My mom was born in northern Ireland & took my brother & myself for a visit. I was about 8yrs old & my grandmother was going to cook a chicken. I remember well there was a chopping block in the front yard [ which I did not know what it was ] till my gram chopped it's head of and it started nunning around the yard. Needless to say when my mom saw this she explaned to gram I was a city boy & never saw anything like that. But no problem I BNORMAL.

The way I did it was very humane. There was no chopping block and no running around with head cut off. There was a killing cone and a scalpel.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Paul, check out the recipe for coq au vin on Epicurious.com. That's the recipe I'll be using except I'll be using a Pinot Noir and adding pearl onions. Care to fly down to Mississippi for dinner Tuesday? I'll put you up. You won't find a Motel in Rainey Community, lol.

Looks/sounds like a great recipe for coq au vin, Liz !

I've tried several variations using different red wines (full-bodied or fortified mainly) - pinot noir should be just fine - this recipe with various types of mushrooms & pearl onions would no doubt be a winner.

Thanks for the invite - not now, but in the future sometime - you never know - would love to meet you - we could cook up a mutual storm - what airport would one fly into ? Maybe I could combine it with a visit with Pat & Tom in Orlando.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast