ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New to the discuss hobby.... like to make sure I知 on right track.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

Default New to the discuss hobby.... like to make sure I知 on right track.

Been a community fish hobbyist for a while and always wanted to have discus. I致e been lurking for a bit and reading this forum and watching lots of videos.

I got a great deal on a Fluval fx6 and bought it before I even got my tank. Ended up buying an 80 gallon rimless glass tank. The more videos I watch and thread I read..... thinking a sump is the way I should have went. I知 in no hurry as I want to custom build a stand. Will start that project soon and in the meantime will be learning more.

I知 not enthused about a bare bottom tank, however that痴 probably the best for a beginner like myself. As a beginner, I知 looking at 7-9, to start and a few bottom feeding Cory Dora and most like some tetras.

I live near Houston, Texas and I am on well water. Nothing added to it, straight from the ground. I will have my water tested out of the tap, in case I need to do something about it.

What I have learned..... lots of water changes...lol and purchase from a good supplier.

I look forward to learning more from y誕ll.

Default Re: New to the discuss hobby.... like to make sure I知 on right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcross1693 View Post
    Been a community fish hobbyist for a while and always wanted to have discus. I’ve been lurking for a bit and reading this forum and watching lots of videos.

I got a great deal on a Fluval fx6 and bought it before I even got my tank. Ended up buying an 80 gallon rimless glass tank. The more videos I watch and thread I read..... thinking a sump is the way I should have went. I’m in no hurry as I want to custom build a stand. Will start that project soon and in the meantime will be learning more.

I’m not enthused about a bare bottom tank, however that’s probably the best for a beginner like myself. As a beginner, I’m looking at 7-9, to start and a few bottom feeding Cory Dora and most like some tetras.

I live near Houston, Texas and I am on well water. Nothing added to it, straight from the ground. I will have my water tested out of the tap, in case I need to do something about it.

What I have learned..... lots of water changes...lol and purchase from a good supplier.

I look forward to learning more from y’all.
    You're on the right track - thinking about a bare-bottom to begin with - do it.

If I may suggest, once you find a reliable supplier of quality fish, go the route of starting with a lesser number of discus in that 80 gal - say 6-7 good-sized fish, and no tank-mates for several months, until you get comfortable with discus traits & behaviours, and happy with what you see.

Let us know what the tests of your well water show, and perhaps we can help further to make your discus start a successful beginning!
    Best of luck to you.

BTW, apologies for not welcoming you to the forum - please enjoy !
    Last edited by discuspaul; 05-06-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

Thanks Paul. With my fluval fx6, I will rig something for a prefilter and im sure I will have to reduce the flow as well. Should I also use some sponge filter inside the tank?

Thanks Paul. With my fluval fx6, I will rig something for a prefilter and im sure I will have to reduce the flow as well. Should I also use some sponge filter inside the tank?
    It certainly wouldn't hurt, but it shouldn't be necessary,and you'd likely prefer the more open, plainer look of the tank without it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

Still working on my setup.... I got my stand built and it’s solid. 80 gallon rimless Tank put on stand and filled with water. Fluvall fx 6 on day 3 of cycling using some turbo start, seachem prime and stability. Got a nice piece of driftwood still soaking. Had to put a weight on it to hold it down. I decided on a thin layer of sand. Tried bare bottom and couldn’t stand it. Since my tank is close to a fan and the a/c vent is blowing near it, I went went 2, 300 watt heaters. My 2 AI prime fresh water lights should be in here in 2 days. After I get some stability in the tank, I will add a few low maintenance plants to the wood. I plan on also putting a sponge filter inside the tank after it is established. Possibly behind the driftwood and out of site. My fish will include about 7-8 medium sized discuss, 3 ram and a school of some kind of tetras.
    I do have a few questions..... 1. Should I purchase all fish at the same time? From the same LFS? I’m guessing that will cut down on any issues. I believe my LFS is reputable and has several tanks of discus to choose from. I pay the store atleast 2 visits a week to check the quality of fish...... 2. Is there any pointers y’all can give me to assist me on new journey? I will attempt to add pics

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

I think I need to go read up on how to post pics... it's not letting me.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Is there any pointers y誕ll can give me to assist me on new journey?
    Here's a good pointer, re-read Paul's post in thread #2...his advice is sound, and like you said in your initial post, you're a beginner, why complicate things right off the bat?
    "bare-bottom to begin with "
    "starting with a lesser number of discus in that 80 gal - say 6-7 good-sized fish, and no tank-mates for several months"

If you ask for & receive good sound input from a veteran discus keeper (such as Paul) it would do you good to follow it. Personally I would not buy discus from an LFS. Very few know how to properly care for them or do the tank maintenance necessary to keep them healthy. They tend to just push the TDS up by adding salt to keep the bacteria at bay, then when they go into your salt-less tank, bam, they get sick. See it here all the time. If you're gonna spend your hard earned money buy from a sponsor on this site. Otherwise its Russian roulette...
    Last edited by danotaylor; 07-09-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

In addition to Paul and Danny, yes, if possible get them all at one time. This will avoid having to QT a second batch...