AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Harlequin Rasboras?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brian

Default Harlequin Rasboras?

Currently growing out a group of Stenkers in a 65 BB that im eventually going to move into a 120g tank that I have set up with the Discus in mind, PFS substrate, some driftwood, Anubias, Java Fern. Wanted something in it while I got the plants going going, originally wanted some Lemon Tetras. but wasnt able to find any so i added a group of about 40 Harlequins which i really like, they school nicely and think they would look nice with the discus. I currently have the Tank at 82f but will kick it up to 84-86 when the discus go in. Has anyone here done Harlequins with discus at that temp? how do they fare?

Random vid of a tank with Harlequins
    blob:https://www.youtube.com/82d40301-423...6-2cb474d2a508

Default Re: Harlequin Rasboras?

Welcome to SD, Brian,

Rasboras make reasonably good tank-mates for discus, but I can't help believing they would do better at your current temp of 82F , which is what discus do well in anyway - no need or good reason to kick it up to 84-86 which would likely tend to shorten the Rasboras' life span.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Paul, been lurking this site quite a bit since i decided to go into full on discus mode and its helped me out tremendously, although you guys have turned me into a compulsive water changer. You have a ton of experience and use the term reasonably good to describe them, i know Rummy Nose and Cardinals are the most common schools to mix with discus but i just like the way the Rasbora school a little better, tend to swim a little higher in the tank would you suggest finding a group of lemon tetras a better choice or think im ok sticking with the Rasboras?

I've had harlequins up to 88F with no issue, though lower is probably better for both.

Quote Originally Posted by furcas767 View Post
    Thanks Paul, been lurking this site quite a bit since i decided to go into full on discus mode and its helped me out tremendously, although you guys have turned me into a compulsive water changer. You have a ton of experience and use the term reasonably good to describe them, i know Rummy Nose and Cardinals are the most common schools to mix with discus but i just like the way the Rasbora school a little better, tend to swim a little higher in the tank would you suggest finding a group of lemon tetras a better choice or think im ok sticking with the Rasboras?
    If you really like Rasboras, Brian - then by all means go with them.

My only reason for using the vague term "reasonable" for Rasboras as tank-mates for discus - and this is not any meaningful negative view of mine- is that my experience keeping them with discus is that they did seem a wee bit shyer, perhaps even a touch more intimidated by discus, than other tank-mates, such as e.g. Cardinals, Rummies, or Lemon Tetras, & others.

They are top-level tank inhabitants though, as opposed to mid or lower level 'schooling' fish, and that may be appealing to you, as it was for me at the time.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brian

Appreciate the responses guys, think i will give it a go.

Real Name
    Willie

Keep us informed on your success, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.