ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 2 aquarium options

Real Name
    Robbie

Default 2 aquarium options

Help please, I have 2 tanks here that I can use for Discus. The first one is a Red Sea Max S 400 and it measures 41" long, 27 1/2" wide and 24" tall. also with this tank I have a 33 gallon sump I can run with it and add more water volume. The 2nd tank is a standard 75 gal. 48" x 18" x 21" . My question to the group is which setup should I use? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
    My Passion, My Pleasure, My Discus Robbie

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: 2 aquarium options

Start with either one and use the other to QT new additions. Eventually both with have discus in them and then...

75! Then be the sump over to the 75 and now you have even more gallons to work with! Take the second tank and if you ever want to play around with a pair that forms, then use that for a breeding tank.
    -Elliot

If I'm correct the Red Sea is 97g...so definitely go with that. And in my opinion a sump is the best way to filter.

Real Name
    Willie

You need to consider what size of discus you'll start with. If you're going with 2" - 3" fish, they won't need a large tank, but they will need a ton of water changes to grow out. I'd go with a smaller tank which is easier for W/C's. When they get crowded, then move them into a larger tank. Big water changes are less important for adult discus (5"), but they won't get there without it.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    You need to consider what size of discus you'll start with. If you're going with 2" - 3" fish, they won't need a large tank, but they will need a ton of water changes to grow out. I'd go with a smaller tank which is easier for W/C's. When they get crowded, then move them into a larger tank. Big water changes are less important for adult discus (5"), but they won't get there without it.

Good luck, Willie
    Sorry Willie... But I have to disagree with that logic.
    With the smaller tank without the sump you'll have to do water changes more often and without fail. The larger water volume gives you a a little buffer in case you get busy. The frequency of water changes is the inconvenience, not the 10 or 15 gallons more you will change with the larger set up.
    Additionally they'll be no need to move the fish in the future... You can just ease up on the water changes.
    My 1.768 cents ;-)