AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help - Is this fin rot - what do I need to do to fix.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daks

Default Help - Is this fin rot - what do I need to do to fix.

Problem – I have been told by a hobbyist my fish have fin rot, however my LFS says there is nothing wrong with the fish. #5 fish is a runt and always used to hide - he doersnt hide anymore and swims around.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them? They are healthy and eat well. I do weekly water changes 30%- 50%. Tank size is 100 G

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds). No symptoms

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment. No treatment

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish. 100G / 396 LTRS, 6 Discus and 14 rummy nose tetra I got them around Oct 2018,

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often). Weekly , averaging 8-10 days , 30- 50%

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? 6X1.5x1.5, gravel and has plants

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing. No, straight from tap, there is no PH swing

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___27-28 C__

- ph _6.8____

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __20 ppm__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___YES_

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently. No

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can. Feeding freeze dried worms only

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (65.7 KB, 74 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (80.7 KB, 72 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (79.0 KB, 73 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (77.6 KB, 73 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (70.4 KB, 72 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (56.1 KB, 73 views)

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Help - Is this fin rot - what do I need to do to fix.

Hi Daks and welcome to Simply. I see some areas in the fins where there could have been fin rot in the past. Note the unevenness in the soft part of the fins. The blue diamond is a little thin. I would suggest getting your nitrates below 10. How old are these guys?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I agree with Pat as active fin rot typically has some white leading edges.
    And yes... Up those water changes and vacuum thoroughly.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daks

Hi Pat, thank you, I missed a few week of regular water change. I also have no KH in my water.
    I bought them from the fish store in Oct LY, I didn't ask him about their age but they were different sizes. Number 2 was the biggest. I see the fins are damaged. Will they recover ? I am doing weekly water changes do I need to do more..
    Last edited by DVV; 05-31-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daks

Ok, The cause of nitrates up was I wasn't vaccuming the gravel every water change as I lost a few plants but now I have moved them around. The last 2 water changes it has been under 10. I appreciate the help hopefully they recover and grow their fins back.

Most of the time they grow back, especially if the damage isn't sever. Sometimes not as full though.
    Best bet is to do as you last said.. Stay up on the wc and vacuuming.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DVV View Post
    Ok, The cause of nitrates up was I wasn't vaccuming the gravel every water change as I lost a few plants but now I have moved them around. The last 2 water changes it has been under 10. I appreciate the help hopefully they recover and grow their fins back.
    Hi Daks, I can link a thread which show you how to trim the soft part of the fins. However in your case you might just give it some time.
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daks

Thanks Pat, I will let the fins grow back. Also is fish #5 look ok to you..

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DVV View Post
    Thanks Pat, I will let the fins grow back. Also is fish #5 look ok to you..
    Hard to tell from the picture Daks. It looks a little dark. Do you have another pic of it?
    Pat

All of the fish look a bit stunted, especially #3
    You can tell this from the size of the eye compared to the rest of the fish.
    This can be genetic but is also exacerbated by the same thing as the fin_rot, not the best water conditions.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daks

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    All of the fish look a bit stunted, especially #3
    You can tell this from the size of the eye compared to the rest of the fish.
    This can be genetic but is also exacerbated by the same thing as the fin_rot, not the best water conditions.
    Thanks Slicksta - What are best water conditions - Is this is a link which i can read. I have been doing changes every 8-10 days...

I've always based my water change schedule on Nitrate levels as the amount and how often you feed is part of the equation.
    I've found if you can keep nitrates below 10ppm that is optimal, especially for juvenile. Below 20ppm can be acceptable if everything else is in line for adults. That said the lower the better in all cases, so do as much as you can.
    You need to stick to a feeding schedule and then test your nitrates every other day to see how much water you need to change to stay below levels.
    Hope that makes sense...

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I feed my adult fish 1 time daily. There is 5 x 6" fish in a 125 gal and I change 50% × 2 weekly to keep my nitrates <10. My set up is bare bottom with some wood and rocks, no other inhabitants and my fish are happy healthy with this schedule...