ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something is wrong with big tank: Fish very scared/darting/barely eating

Default Re: Something is wrong with big tank: Fish very scared/darting/barely eating

You using submersible pump for WC? Why 25%? Bigger if you can. Also, I'm guilty on not reviewing all details but that jumped out at me. Make WC as easy as possible.
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Default Re: Something is wrong with big tank: Fish very scared/darting/barely eating

I can assure you that your nitrate is not zero. Try this and see if I am correct . Shake both test chemicals for at least 90 seconds. Then add bottle 1 chemicals to your test and shake for another 90 seconds, then shake bottle 2 for an additional minute and add the drops to the test sample and shake the test sample for another minute and let it set for 5 minutes, now read the the test results. Report the results and we can go from there. Ron

Registered Member

Hi, my apologies for the long break. My computer crashed and I hate going on forums using my phone.

In any event, I wanted to report back in case this helps anyone else.
    I know my OP was TL;DR for a lot so I'll try and make this short and sweet. The culprit: Mold

My sand substrate was riddled with mold and I only know it was this because I, myself, had a reaction to it that's consistent with when I was in contact with mold over 15 years ago. Not to mention as I was removing the sand, the fumes made me almost pass out (I'm very sensitive to mold, but couldn't smell it when the tank was going normally for whatever reason),

I've had Discus fish for over 10 years (joined the site about 8 years ago, I think) and many of you said have a bare-bottom tank but I love how the sand looks, and never did that. I see now why it's just not worth it.

Here's the tank now (The Discus are clearly happier -may get new Driftwood down the line)

IMG_8020.jpg
    IMG_8021.jpg
    IMG_8022.jpg
    IMG_8023.jpg
    Last edited by Heartbreaker; 06-01-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Grammar errors

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by alron2 View Post
    I can assure you that your nitrate is not zero. Try this and see if I am correct . Shake both test chemicals for at least 90 seconds. Then add bottle 1 chemicals to your test and shake for another 90 seconds, then shake bottle 2 for an additional minute and add the drops to the test sample and shake the test sample for another minute and let it set for 5 minutes, now read the the test results. Report the results and we can go from there. Ron
    Ok so I did exactly this to the T (Arms damn near fell off after) and took a picture of the results :

Attachment 124006

Registered Member

I can not see the picture, what were the results?
    Ron

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by alron2 View Post
    I can not see the picture, what were the results?
    Ron
    Weird. I can't edit posts anymore. let's try again:

IMG_8024.jpg

So glad you found the solution.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12