ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Petco had a sale...

Registered Member

Default Petco had a sale...

and I bought 5, 2-3" discus. Rescued might be more fitting. They looked healthy and active in the store, but Petco keeps their systems at 78 F and only feeds a pinch of generic flake food once a day :-/ On the plus side, the store is less than a mile from my house so transport and stress was minimal. Now, with proper params and diet they are doing splendidly! Looking forward to watching them grow :-)

I have kept discus in the past, but am new to the forum. Anyone here in the DMV area?

Cheers!
    Last edited by Emanresu; 05-12-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Petco had a sale...

Welcome to the forum! Do you have any photo's of your rescue?

Real Name
    Patty

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your babies. I’d like to see pics too.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

Thank you! I will take some pics soon!

Registered Member

Unfortunately, I lost the smallest one. It declined quickly a few days after being in QT. Silver lining is that Petco has a 30 day guarantee and I picked up the remaining two at the store. I haven't had the opportunity to take any pics, but hopefully this weekend. The others are still doing great :-)

Registered Member

I had not visited a Petco before and did not know they sold fish including discus. Price and variety of the fish that you purchased?

Real Name
    Brian

That's a shame you lost one. The main issue with buying from Petco (and others) they use a central filtration system (usually), and many times they dose the system with medications that may mask a potential issue.

Keep us updated on these guys in case something else arises and maybe we can help avoid another loss...

Brian

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I had not visited a Petco before and did not know they sold fish including discus. Price and variety of the fish that you purchased?
    Petco does sell a variety of both fresh and salt. Not every store is going to have the same stock though.

The price is steep at $40 for a roughly 2.5" discus. The sale brought them down to $32 with Pals reward card which is going on thru the 27th of this month. $32 is still kinda steep for young discus, but having the store very close to home is worth the convenience of not having to bother with shipping or long drives.

As far as variety, I bought: 1x Brilliant Blue, 1x Blue Turq, 4x standard Heckle, 1x Pigeon Blood. The Pigeon is the one I lost, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Emanresu; 05-16-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    That's a shame you lost one. The main issue with buying from Petco (and others) they use a central filtration system (usually), and many times they dose the system with medications that may mask a potential issue.

Keep us updated on these guys in case something else arises and maybe we can help avoid another loss...

Brian

Yeah, it came as a surprise. Everything else is doing well. I usually shy from buying at big box stores, but I've got a fever that only more discus can cure

Thank you, and I will!