AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tried to talk husband out of discus - I failed so here I am!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Default Tried to talk husband out of discus - I failed so here I am!

Over 20 years ago I tried discus with varying success but was pretty much alone. There was no internet for information and I was totally on my own with only a few books and a nice guy named Bob Lipmeyer ( sp?) in New Hampshire. Hubby and I have raised lots of different fish but discus were my headache - one I知 not sure I want to bring back. However, the internet may be my salvation. I joined this list. I知 excited and nervous at the same time. I知 up at night thinking about the steps to take to avoid my former ulcers. Hubby just bought a 75 gallon tank and once we return from vacation, will be looking for the fish. You値l be hearing from me often!! Lol

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Tried to talk husband out of discus - I failed so here I am!

You came to the right place Kathy. I learned everything discus here and feel I was guided by the best. I’m still here and loving these fish even more because of the forum. Welcome!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Kathy, welcome to simply and there is lots of great information here. I would suggest going thru the sticky threads in the beginner section to refresh yourself on the basic needs of discus. We are here for you (and your husband) to help with a successful start back into the discus world
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Frank

Welcome! You will find sound information on this site. Read, read, and read ...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

I’ve been reading these threads for so long I’m cross eyed. Can’t get enough info. I’m 2 hours north of Wattleys place and am planning a trip there tomorrow just to look and drool. Will bring a water sample too. I’ve only lived in Florida for a year. My painful discus past was in Pennsylvania. Going to be nice to be able to send photos and video if - when - there’s a problem instead of depending on my Handbook Of Fish Diseases book by Dieter Untergasser. Oftentimes I couldn’t even get my hands on the medications required in this book.

Kathy, just start off with KISS method (Keep it simple stupid) this time. Don't over think. The more WCs the better. I'm not even great about WCs but I still blow out of the water any non-discus keepers. My personal belief, stay away from medications as best possible. I have used medications only once in the past 10 years and that was when there was one fish with a parasite.

I have the feeling that this time around you are going to enjoy the heck out of them!
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Filip

Hi and welcome Kathy . You are very lucky that there will be both of you taking care of the maintenance and Waterchanges . We are also here to guide you and help you in case you need any help.
    I have a feeling that this time you will have a much more pleasant journey than your previous experience with this fish.
    Good luck and keep us regulary posted .