ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hi guys and gals

Registered Member

Default Hi guys and gals

I'm here because I went to my Local Fish shop and basically fell in love with a discus

I've been in dabbling in the planted side of the hobby for a while but have never kept discus. I've been here since that unexpected encounter in my LFS reading and mentally trying to surf the proverbial wave of knowledge this forum contains.

It's absolutely an honor to be here.

Rolla

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Hi guys and gals

Hi Rolla and welcome to Simply Discus! This is the best place for discus information. I encourage you to read the stickie threads in the Beginner section, especially the video I've linked here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!

Be patient, gather info, and make a plan. Discus are beautiful, and many folks envision creating a planted scape with discus. Unfortunately, this is a difficult setup for folks who are not experienced in keeping discus as well as planted setups. Basically, it's hard to keep the planted setup clean enough for discus. In particular, young discus do not do well trying to grow out in that environment.

To get familiar with keeping discus, a barebottom tank, with adult or near adults, preferably in groups of 6 or more, is recommended. Along with frequent large water changes. Once you get the hang of it, then folks start thinking about incorporating them into a planted setup.

Sorry, not trying to discourage you, but encourage you to keep reading. We're here when you have questions.

Steve

Real Name
    Filip

Hi and welcome Rolla .
    Steve already gave you some sound advice for beginning with discus . You have already experienced plants, now give your self some time to experience discus only , before you decide to make combinations from both of them . That way , you won't regret having choosed discus as your next journey In this hobby .

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Rolla and welcome to Simply. Filip and Steve gave you some great starting points so I will simply say it is an honor to have you here. Please do your research and make a plan. I would suggest if you pull the trigger on discus that you consider carefully where you get them from. The LFS are not always the best place.
    Enjoy the journey,
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Hey Roger, Flip and Pat. I appreciate the warm welcome and advice. Particularly on planted VS bare bottom.

After deciding to convert to a discus tank my first "mistake" was buying plants suited to discus temps. It wasn't until I got here that I realized there was a debate about the two types of setups. From my understanding it's about detritus collecting and fouling the water which leads to less than ideal parameters. I believe there are a few ways around this if the right scape, flow, and plants are utilized. If it doesn't work, I wont hesitate to go the other route but being a planted guy and seeing planted discus setup that have achieved the right balance makes me want to try a planted tank first.

I'm getting Stendker discus imported from France and wont be going with my LFS who use a breeder in Manchester (I'm from the UK by the way) which hopefully should give me the best start.

I will be opening a journal thread so that I can draw on your advice and share the journey so to speak. And while I know I've made that journey potentially more complicated by going planted, I'm somewhat confident just from being here among you guys and gals. And again, if I can't find the balance needed to make a planted setup work I wont hesitate to switch.

Real Name
    Filip

Mark Evanden is an importer for Stendkers in UK , so you might as well check there too , before you make your final decision :

https://www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/

Make carefull choice and think twice about the planted start , especially if you start with the "raising juvies option " because if you run in to noneating discus or other problems at this age , it's already too late to change things .
    I'll be following your journal here Rolla.