AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Why does this work?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Why does this work?

I think I've brought this subject up before, but can't find the old post.
    Why do they spawn after the water has been in the tank for a week?
    I have a 75 with potted plants, driftwood, 2 angel pairs, several rams, corries, and some bristlenose. Was my planted experiment. No good excuse, but it gets attention after my discus tanks. Once a week. Running 3 sponge filters. pH about 8.2 from my well, but cut with RO to about 80 ppm right now (same pH). So, I change water once a week, no wipe down, and they all look happy. I'm careful not to over feed. The angels spawn just when I think I need to change water. And if I let them spawn and then change water, the eggs disappear. Not expecting much survival in that tank, but getting to fry would be nice.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Why does this work?

I read your old post, Steve, and tried it myself. I've raised 5 albino Manacapurus to adult size and they're starting to develop to red shoulders. They were raised on 100% water change daily with daily wipedowns.

After I read your post, I cut the daily water changes to 50%. (Too OCD to go lower than that.) Boom, two pairs.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Steve I dont know about your tank but in my angelfish tanks if you have more than one male and female angel they pair up and spawn perpetually. I have two tanks set up right now with a few males and females and they literally are perpetually pairing on each end of the tanks,laying eggs and hatching out fry then fighting over them. It doesnt matter on the water changes though, as truthfully I dont go crazy on their tanks. Ive never had a problem getting angels to breed ....Ive had posts up when I had thousands of them here at once and couldnt give them away.
    In your case with the older water I suspect that they are either reacting to small decreases in the tanks pH or alkalinity.. Over time that drifts down with no water changes.

Its also possible that its not necessarily a drop in pH or Alkalinity but just a change in general in the waters parameters . In Willie's case I doubt the pH/alkalinity moved at all but given his Angels were used to one thing and he changed it up that may have been the trigger.

We have come to believe that the many of our fish do best in stable in conditions as we raise them..but in nature its changes that trigger spawning for many species.. seasonal changes, temp, rainwater influx, light cycles, insect hatches, population dynamics..
    are all known triggers.

A "trick" I use to trigger a discus pair. Ignore thema week or so. ..do no water changes and hit them with a full wc..bam.Ive had them shimmy while filling the tank.
    How many times have we had a pair that did nothing breed while we were away on vacation? I bet in most cases the hobbyist fanatically cleaned that tank... then did nothing while away on vacation.
    ... thats a big change.= trigger.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    How many times have we had a pair that did nothing breed while we were away on vacation?
    Especially the ones you've been babying for a couple months and checking multiple times a day.

Another theory I've heard is fish are more inclined to spawn in poor conditions to pass on their genes in case they die. Who knows, but (like Willie and Al already said) most fish like change.

Adam that quote
    Another theory I've heard is fish are more inclined to spawn in poor conditions to pass on their genes in case they die.
    With many species of plants my Botany professor and mentor told us if you want to get a difficult plant to flower... stress it out ... dry it out, change its light cycles then bring it back from the brink and many will flower (= trigger spawning) Think desert plants that go years under stressful conditions of drought.. then rain and bam! the desert is in flower.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Steve I dont know about your tank but in my angelfish tanks if you have more than one male and female angel they pair up and spawn perpetually. I have two tanks set up right now with a few males and females and they literally are perpetually pairing on each end of the tanks,laying eggs and hatching out fry then fighting over them. It doesnt matter on the water changes though, as truthfully I dont go crazy on their tanks. Ive never had a problem getting angels to breed ....Ive had posts up when I had thousands of them here at once and couldnt give them away.
    In your case with the older water I suspect that they are either reacting to small decreases in the tanks pH or alkalinity.. Over time that drifts down with no water changes.

Its also possible that its not necessarily a drop in pH or Alkalinity but just a change in general in the waters parameters . In Willie's case I doubt the pH/alkalinity moved at all but given his Angels were used to one thing and he changed it up that may have been the trigger.

We have come to believe that the many of our fish do best in stable in conditions as we raise them..but in nature its changes that trigger spawning for many species.. seasonal changes, temp, rainwater influx, light cycles, insect hatches, population dynamics..
    are all known triggers.

A "trick" I use to trigger a discus pair. Ignore thema week or so. ..do no water changes and hit them with a full wc..bam.Ive had them shimmy while filling the tank.
    How many times have we had a pair that did nothing breed while we were away on vacation? I bet in most cases the hobbyist fanatically cleaned that tank... then did nothing while away on vacation.
    ... thats a big change.= trigger.

al
    Well said Al
    My limited experience breeding has been the same. When ever I've moved an established breeding pair to their own tank they've always paused on me. Then when I let the nitrates climb a little and bump the pH down with a little peat they start back up.
    Discus like their sex dirty :-D

What I have heard is that in the amazon there is a time when it rarely rains and the river water gets disgusting. Then the rain comes and the fish feel suddenly better and get in the mood to spawn. Don't know it that's true or not.
    Mama Bear