ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Tank Ready for Conversion

Default New Tank Ready for Conversion

Looking for some opinions on getting my new tank up and running as quickly but efficiently as possible. I have a well established 90gal tank with 2 AQ110's filled with foam pads and biohome media. I have a new 125gal w/40gal sump that will contain various stages of poret foam and cubes. My plan is to remove the established foam from the AQ110's and squeeze/place in sump of new tank to start cycle. I will also move a couple cory's from my established tank into the new tank. Does this sound like best practice? Or, does anyone out there have any additional advice? Not rushing, just very anxious to get it up and running and get my 8 adults in their new home.

Thx in advance.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: New Tank Ready for Conversion

Do you keep discus in your current tank ?
    Starting with filter materials from an established tank is surely the fastest way to cycle a new tank but discus keepers ussualy start fishless cycle to avoid any chances of cross contaminating the new discus stock.
    I would start fishless (with bottled biobacteria and household ammonia dosing) and sterile with my new stock to avoid any potential risks IIWY . After a couple of months when your new stock starts thriving , you can try and mix them with your current stock by using a test discus fish .

Good luck with your new 8 discus and please share photos o them with us here .

Quote Originally Posted by Dam777 View Post
    Looking for some opinions on getting my new tank up and running as quickly but efficiently as possible. I have a well established 90gal tank with 2 AQ110's filled with foam pads and biohome media. I have a new 125gal w/40gal sump that will contain various stages of poret foam and cubes. My plan is to remove the established foam from the AQ110's and squeeze/place in sump of new tank to start cycle. I will also move a couple cory's from my established tank into the new tank. Does this sound like best practice? Or, does anyone out there have any additional advice? Not rushing, just very anxious to get it up and running and get my 8 adults in their new home.

Thx in advance.
    That's what I always do... Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Do you keep discus in your current tank ?
    Starting with filter materials from an established tank is surely the fastest way to cycle a new tank but discus keepers ussualy start fishless cycle to avoid any chances of cross contaminating the new discus stock.
    I would start fishless (with bottled biobacteria and household ammonia dosing) and sterile with my new stock to avoid any potential risks IIWY . After a couple of months when your new stock starts thriving , you can try and mix them with your current stock by using a test discus fish .

Good luck with your new 8 discus and please share photos o them with us here .
    All discus and cory's are currently in the existing 90 and have been for over a year.

Real Name
    Filip

You just want to transfer your existing stock to a bigger tank ? Just transfer all of your established filter materials in your sump and you are ready to go .

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    You just want to transfer your existing stock to a bigger tank ? Just transfer all of your established filter materials in your sump and you are ready to go .
    Want to keep the 90 running to house 2-3 new discus and some Rummy nose tetras for a few months, Will be adding them to the new tank after quarantine. Planned on leaving the biohome media in the AQ's and just put new foam in them and use the old foam only in the new tank sump. Will that be good enough for an instant cycle? I know I will have to test parameters but should kick the cycle off pretty quick, right?

Should be fine, I've done it that way several times without issue.
    I moved some old media after the fish have been in there for a day generating waste. Then every morning after I would bring over some additional media and give it a good squeeze into the new filter. A little easier when using sumps but still doable no matter the filter. The goal is to have new and old media in both setups.
    And as you said test as you go.