ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with sick discus - 16 deaths in 3 weeks.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Default Re: Help with sick discus - 16 deaths in 3 weeks.

I should have clarified. These 2 pairs never had babies. They only laid eggs and are young pair. Never had successful hatch. The frys i got from the same breeder from his 3R pair. i will try to do more cleaning. I do wipe regularly but not rinsing out the sponges often. Ill do that from now on. I am thinking of nuking my sponges with PP when treatment is over

John, The pair doesnt need to carry fry.. just the act of spawning is enough and even thats not necessary. We see alot of external bacterial problems with discus. It even happens when you mix stock from different suppliers..most of the time it clears up on its own or with salt added...

Nuking your sponges with pp will probably not make a difference here... just rinse them real good and it should be ok.

hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I'd like to say I respect everyone's opinion I just don't agree with all of them I am new to discus fry but have 40+years in the hobby so I know a little bit, any one can breed a discus that's the easy part once you have a pair it's raising the fry, and if you read my first post here in the community look at the answers I got, even brew master says yeah I'll help you never heard back from him the mistake I made was turning the fry loose in a big tank to early but all in all I think I'm doing pretty good I may have lost fifty percent on my first time around but remaining are growing by leaps and bounds from fry to a quarter in two months Thanks everyone for your help

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Dee1958 View Post
    I'd like to say I respect everyone's opinion I just don't agree with all of them I am new to discus fry but have 40+years in the hobby so I know a little bit, any one can breed a discus that's the easy part once you have a pair it's raising the fry, and if you read my first post here in the community look at the answers I got, even brew master says yeah I'll help you never heard back from him the mistake I made was turning the fry loose in a big tank to early but all in all I think I'm doing pretty good I may have lost fifty percent on my first time around but remaining are growing by leaps and bounds from fry to a quarter in two months Thanks everyone for your help
    Respectfully Dee but you never responded back to your own thread with queries for pics, tank, fish and food information. Perhaps you can provide some of the requested information.?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

You may be in the hobby but discus are not the same. Some fish can be ok in an established tanks. Discus can too but for them to strive, grow and be healthy, definitely not bu doing WC once a week at 30%. Have you successfully breed discus, grew them out to adults? I agree with you that in smaller tanks, frys strive better. I moved them to my 20 because they were getting big. 14 1.5” discus aren’t really ideal for a 10gal tank. And with the bioload, feeding 5 times a day, do you really think 30% wc weekly will help? Especially when I have no filtration other than a sponger filter. Your first comment was awfully rude, let alone missed read my entire post thinking I am giving out advice for whatever reason. You asked questions when it was already stated. I appreciate your help but I went here for a reason and not on FB

Really? I tried to help you but read your own backposts.. you either dont make sense or dont bother to reply... but to call me out that I didnt help you. Thats just Royal BS.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...uvenile-discus

You...Just two days ago.
    Lol ol ol as a newbie as far as discus go the only reason I ask is that I received some juvenile discus and when I feed them they respond as though they don't know what food is maybe I received slow learners. Thanks Dee
    Me
    Administrator
    Northford,CT,USA
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    221 (100%)
    Default Re: Juvenile discus
    Stupid no. but they can be picky eaters if spoiled or if they are not eating what you are feeding they either don't like the menu or are sick.

Post up a few pics and give some more info as to the tank, fish and foods being offered and we can probably help get you past Newbie stage here.

Welcome to the forum!

Al
    Turns out you were the one who never answered me when I tried to help you.

You have no clue how many people like you I and others here have tried to help. You come here for the help but refuse to actually listen to what more experienced discus keepers try to teach you.
    You may have kept fish 40 , 50, .60 what ever years
    now but your advice here was bad whether you want to hear it or believe me or not. Its not a personal attack on your general fish keeping experience but every fish species is different.My advice here is based on my experiences with Discus. ..not just fish. You can take or leave it with your fish...but as an admin, owner of the forum, and die hard discus nut thats spent years trying to help people succeed with discus I need to point out when advice is wrong with Discus. It may be hard to believe but I have raised one or two of them myself. Further discussion on this please pm me. Thank you.

John, I apologize for the thread hi-hijack

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-18-2019 at 02:25 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

All I can say is how many fry do you have left I was just giving you my opinion in trying to help adult discus are no big deal it's the fry and I have 50 percent still left next time I will not turn the fry loose in a big tank as they feed differently than other cichlids bottom line is as a first timer with discus fry I have 50 percent still remaining and their growing like there's no tomorrow from fry to quarter in 2 months and I am using my own fish recipe so I'm doing ok. I apologize if I came across as being rude or harsh but I surfed the forum and some of the things people are doing or being told to do just absolutely blows my mind. DEE

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

No worries Al. It doesn’t seem like Dee read anything on what we said and just likes to argue. I think he might got the 30% weekly WC from Gabe...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12