AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water changes almost 0%

Default Re: Water changes almost 0%

However did you become such an expert on nutrition and WC, Dee? What are your credentials? Al here has credentials as a scientist and also has years of experience in raising Discus. Many of us here have just the experience of raising Discus for many years and learning from our mistakes. Have you ever considered that rather that butting heads with all of us and making yourself seem stubborn you should hang around, read and actually learn something?
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 05-31-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Dee1958 View Post
    In the wild discus do not experience huge water changes, they originate from the amazon basin which is a huge blackwater pool wth very still waters and very little current, the huge water changes came about from the discus pioneer /farmers who upon keeping them in captivity and coming up with the brilliant idea to feed raw beef heart because they had nothing else were fouling there tanks so bad they had no choice but to do huge water changes

Dee
    Wow... That's scary.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

In the wild discus do not experience huge water changes, they originate from the amazon basin which is a huge blackwater pool wth very still waters and very little current, the huge water changes came about from the discus pioneer /farmers who upon keeping them in captivity and coming up with the brilliant idea to feed raw beef heart because they had nothing else were fouling there tanks so bad they had no choice but to do huge water changes

Dee
    Hi Dee, The Amazon basin is not a pool but a massive river system which empties into the ocean. In reality, wild discus are subject to a constant water change. Please review some of the videos on YouTube showing wild discus in their native habitat. Even during the wet season when many of the forest flood floods there is still a flow to the water with the ongoing rains.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    However did you become such an expert on nutrition and WC, Dee? What are your credentials? Al here has credentials as a scientist and also has years of experience in raising Discus. Many of us here have just the experience of raising Discus for many years and learning from our mistakes. Have you ever considered that rather that butting heads with all of us and making yourself seem stubborn you should hang around, read and actually learn something?
    40+years in the fish biz and not trying to butt heads with all the species of fish I keep I like to research and educate myself to increase my chance of success, I research their environment in the wild, water, food , ph, temp,substrate, anything I can do to increase the fishes chance of survival, and what I posted was my findings of what the amazon basin is like

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    Wow... That's scary.
    I know right ,and I love the blackwater tank your working on

Dee

40+years in the fish biz and not trying to butt heads with all the species of fish I keep I like to research and educate myself to increase my chance of success, I research their environment in the wild, water, food , ph, temp,substrate, anything I can do to increase the fishes chance of survival, and what I posted was my findings of what the amazon basin is like

Dee
    And did you check out my food list in food and nutrition on page 13 of carols beefheart, don't forget your veggies

Dee

I know right ,and I love the blackwater tank your working on

Dee
    Dee... I'm don't want to be insulting but you couldn't be more wrong about the Amazon
    That said... Thank You!😉
    Last edited by slicksta; 05-31-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    Dee... I'm don't want to be insulting but you couldn't be more wrong about the Amazon
    That said... Thank You!��
    That's ok but I still like your blackwater tank and would be curious as to where your ph ends up with the alder cones and how you are going to maintain, I hope you continue to post your progress

Dee

Dee

I don't consider my tank as blackwater as I have sand and no live plants. I do use peat but not to the extent that my water stays darkened by tannins.
    I consider my tank more of a community tank and its been up and running static for some time now.
    I'm thinking maybe you thought an aquarium I commented on was mine... No worries.

Registered Member

Hi I am new to the forum.
    I just wanted to share something. I had a pair that bred in a 20 gal with water that was so green you can't even see the fish. I was a teenager back then and neglected them. My mom was the one that fed them and all she did was just drop live black worms into the tank everyday. The tank water did not get changed for months, just evaporated water topped off. filter used was a dynoflow. I did not even know they spawn until our move day (parents bought new house). The frys were about a quarter size and there were close to about 50 of them if not more, I didn't count. I sold some to my LFS and gave the rest to my friend. That was the first and last successful spawn, the pair was murder when our new house got broken into (threw something in the water).

Anyways, I just got back into discus and learning a great deal, lots of reading.
    Last edited by 4eye gold fish; 08-26-2019 at 04:29 PM.

I've noticed you reading around, 4eye. That is in interesting story.

It's to see that you're back in the hobby. I would love to hear what you do and how it goes with your new set up.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

It's possible to not do water changes. You could have a denitrification system. Maybe you get lucky with the anoxic basket system of Dr. Novak (I didn't btw). IME, my tank runs low on nitrates <5ppm a week, due to low ph 5.2 and live plants (water sprite and wisteria) feeding on the ammonium. But I still have to to do some type of water change weekly to vacuum out the bottom just to keep it looking good so there isn't a bunch of mulm on the bottom. Water changes, generally, are the easiest, least risky, and most straight forward way for people to keep discus. Thus, why it's the most commonly recommended way for discus husbandry, but it's not the only way. Other methods exist, they just take more knowledge, involve more risk, and aren't as easy to recommend as frequent water changes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123