ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Interesting video for those concerned about having low ph...

Real Name
    Brian

Default Interesting video for those concerned about having low ph...

Here's a very good and professional video on the affects that low ph can have on our fish. The subject is Altums, but many people think low ph for discus is necessary...

https://youtu.be/ReqctTXldXY
    Last edited by jeep; 05-19-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Default Re: Interesting video for those concerned about having low ph...

Interesting video.
    My concern with his conclusion is that it was one sick fish in a 2 year period. There was no information on when the owner introduced peat to the system or if it has been in since the beginning.
    Additionally there can be multiple factors that could have put the fishes digestive system into stress and caused the inflammation. Ingesting foreign matter that was in the food for one.
    A while back i got a bad batch of SF Bloodworms that was taking out my Cardinals and stressing my discus who developed the well known white stringy poops. Luckily I only fed it as a treat and when I stopped the discus quickly recovered on their own and the Cardinal losses stopped.
    I'll accept it as more information to consider but I will add a grain of aquarium salt.

Real Name
    Brian

Good observations! I was impressed by the professionalism and knowledge, but I agree about there only being one sick fish.

I thought it was worth the discussion that extremely low ph may have in a closed environment.

Definitely food for thought as extreme anything out of parameters is just that, extreme. . .
    But coming to such a conclusion seems a bit hasty.
    You would need to examine more fish and see if they show signs of inflammation. Then do and experiment where you change the diet on one group and the pH on another.
    One thing I know for certain.... YouTube is full of experts

Real Name
    Brian

Yes, upon further discussion with someone more familiar with wilds angels, it seems that a ph of 3.6 can actually be desirable.

My very limited experience with breeding discus has been unsuccessful with a pH above 6.
    They stop laying eggs or eat them shortly after.
    When I add peat to my breeding tank that gets the pH between 5 - 5.5 which is where my community tank pH range is and from where they came, they go back to laying and then raising the fry.
    Now this is no where the pH of 4 or lower discussed in the video. And if I remember the below 4pH reading was the level of his peat moss test, not the level in the tank which is another error on his part. Though I think he was trying to address a pH swing as well as a very low pH.
    Thinking it over a swing may be more to blame, especially if the owner does fast paced water changes.