ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with discus appetite

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Default Help with discus appetite

Hi all,

I just finished 4 doses of Furan-2 treatment. I have 2 female. The PE is doing fine, very nice red color as usual. The SS is dark right now, like she’s spawning. After their treatment (from my previous post, their mates died from what looked like bacteria infection but unsure), I fed them a bit of BH and the SS took one bite, the PE swam to it and swam away. After 5 mins of them showing no interest, I took it out and gave them half a cube of bloodworm. They ate maybe a hand full of worms then showed little to no interest in them. After 10 mins of them not eating them, I removed the left over. I have been starving them for 4 days, during the treatment. No visible symptoms like white poop or anything. Both looks very healthy and thick, not skinny like they have worms. What should I do? I have these for about 2 months. Both had laid eggs before. Nothing I’ve done differently since I got them.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Help with discus appetite

Hi John, meds can put discus off eating so you might give it some time. Keep up with the water changes. If no changes after a few days bump the temp to about 86 or so. Higher temps can make them hungry.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Pat, Still no improvement, any other suggestions?

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Sparth View Post
    Pat, Still no improvement, any other suggestions?
    Hi John, may need more time. Did you bump the temp up a little?
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Hi Pat,

I have. The tank is outside in my garage in FL weather. They are always in 88 deg. Water. I’ll continue to monitor them

John I know you did not like the way I came across on my first reply to you and you can call it advice or opinion whatever but I am still willing to send you a sample of my food, my remaining fry are doing very well and are showing beautiful color at quarter size if you want to try the food you can pm me with a address. Dee

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Dee, thanks but the concern is that I am dealing with them not eating like before. It’s not the food, it’s their appetite, whether from recovering or other diseases may have caused. I have 3 types of food and they ate them, just not eating enough like before.

Ok well the offer still stands my fry are loving my recipe growing good and showing beautiful color it could be they don't like the food your feeding. Dee

I've had this happen a few times for me as well, as Pat mentioned higher heat is the first step. If that doesn't help, which it didn't in your case too. I would then try feeding live blackworms. Live blackworms always did the trick ! I've recommended this method to many friends of mine and it worked all the time (unless the fish has some other internal parasites).
    Before adding the live blackworms I soak them in methylene blue water and then add.

Registered Member

Temp Bump up to 90 or 91 always seemed to be the Magic number! Temp or meds everytime.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

They used to love their blood worm and now doesn’t care. They are even scared of blood worms when see them in the tank. They turn dark, hide in the corner. I had to take the bloodworm out.

As for blackworm, where can I get that?

They are outside in florida weather in the garage so the temp are pretty nice and toasty.

They still haven’t eat anything and its been 2 weeks. Should I do a 10 days metro treatment?

Real Name
    Pat

John, can you post pics of the fish and tank? Also what does the poop look like? When the temp drops at night does the tank have a heater in it? If yes, what temp does the heater hold the temp at?
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Pat. The temp always kept at 88-89. If they do eat, they poop normal, no white stringy poop. I will take photos when I get home. They look stunning as usually, just wont eat like before

Sparth sorry to hear you’re still having problems and I'm not ready to go away, I won't give you advice but I would like to ask you a few questions I don't think you're problems are parasites but water so here goes, did you cycle this tank when you set it up,how old is your aged water, and do you treat for chlorimines I use amquell Dee

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Dee,

The tank has always been cycled with the sponge filter. Age water are usually at least 24 hr. I use a 55gal drum, I refill them every 3 days or so for next day WC. I don’t think it’s water related. I use prime to treat chloramine. I now use Safe since last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast