AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Planted 118G and Discus

Registered Member

Default Planted 118G and Discus

I want to preface this with an apology. I have a capable DSLR camera but it has a zillion settings and so as yet, I haven't been able to get a single decent picture out of it so my apologies in advance for the quality.

Having said that, I read a lot of the threads about the dos and don'ts in terms of planted discus tanks. Particularly a lot of thought and really good reasoning against the planted route and so figured I'd contribute. This "scape" was "Designed" differently to how I'd normally approach a planted tank. The major difference is a back channel/area behind the plants where debris and detritus could and would often collect. The depth/width of the tank is 50cm and I have left a 5cm gap between the back glass and plants and use a power head to ensure that there is adequate flow between the plants and nothing is accumulated and left to settle. Given the amount of stems, roots, and leafs being collected on my prefilter I'd say it's working. But then again the scape/setup is only 4 days old at the point of posting so time will tell.

Last edited by Rolla P; 05-20-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Planted 118G and Discus

Hi Rolla, looks like the start of a nice scape. How is your channel idea working?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Default Re: Planted 118G and Discus

Hi Pat

The channel idea is working as designed. I water change twice a week since and as yet haven't seen any debris back there. Not so much as a dead leaf settles. In every planted setup I've had before this the back of the aquarium would be were detritus collected.

The pre filter needs a good cleaning at every WC but apart from that, so far so good.