ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus not moving, but staying front and center!

Registered Member

Default Discus not moving, but staying front and center!

So a couple of things, I got 7 new discus last month. There was some bullying going around but seems like finally settling down, had to take one guy out. But now my blue diamond just sits right near the center of the tank, near the top and doesn't move. If another discus comes near it and picks a fight itll move, but then itll go back right to where it was. been like this for 2 days now. He's eating and everything seems alright with him, possible ich on his tail fin tho, I see 5 small white specks. I thought discus would hide usually if they are stressed but this guy is right in the front.

On another note, another discus has this circular white spot on his fin, looks larger than ich, kinda fluffy looking but hes acting normal too.

Tank is 135g, planted with plecos, water parameters good and stable.1558372653707.jpg

Watching them more, I think hes caught in the middle. 2 Discus have paired on the left with eggs, and 2 on the right with eggs. they both chase him and he ends up in the middle? =[
    Last edited by chiuey; 05-20-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Discus not moving, but staying front and center!

What are your nitrates reading? When I 1st started I was pushing the boundaries with water changes. When my nitrates got above 20 some of my fish developed discus pimples, some with white spots on the body, some with white spots on the tail. Keeping my nitrates <10 has solved the issue and I have not seen the white spots since...lil boogers love their clean water!

Registered Member

Nitrates always below 10, I've been changing 20-30% almost everyday, sometimes I'll skip a day. However, I do have 5 plecos in there and they are seriuosly poop machines which forces me to clean it up almost everyday. It's just weird the blue diamond stays right there dead center all the time now. I'm thinking once the eggs go away on either side tho, he'll start swimming again. It's like there's 2 hostile territories on the left and right and he stays right in between!

Registered Member

duuuuuuuuudeeeeeee to muuuuuuch light

Registered Member

That's exactly what's going on. He is Malcolm in the middle. Both pairs have established there territories and he is stuck there. I had the same problem when I had 2 pairs laying at the same time.