AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: devastated

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: devastated

Doogy 262,
    Don’t kick yourself too hard. Most of us have made the same mistake at one point or another. Hope you can get them through this and back to normal soon. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

What Willie said and what Patty said. Listen, I did a worse thing than you the last time I ordered fish. I was in a contest and I dumped them in even though I knew better. Even old timers can screw up when they don't follow proper protocol. I did win the contest, but I had to treat a bunch of fish and everyone found out that even old timers can do stupid things.

Don't beat yourself up, but don't make the same mistake again.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

This an update on my devastated thread,the results were three fish lost and four thriving.
    I did some soul searching and was considering re homing the four and going in
    a different direction but I am hooked so sticking with it,Things I wish I had done differently
    besides the obvious quarantine of new fish is I wish I had started the Furan 11 and Kanaplex
    treatments sooner as they responded quickly and after two days of of the first dose they
    looked better and after the second dose they looked great.
    I made some changes to the tank including removing about 75% of the plants and lowering the pfs
    to less than an inch except in the back where my amazon sword is located.Daily water changes are
    continuing.I have found a place for a 20 gal. quarantine tank in my
    laundry room{I can do this because I live alone lol}It is set and cycled and now contain three Discus
    from Chicago Discus and they look amazing.
    I plan on 4-5 weeks and if all looks good will add them to main tank.I know it is suggested to pick a test
    fish from main tank to include after the 4-5 weeks is this absolutely necessary?
    I get the willys thinking about it,also do you recommend any medication or salt in the quarantine tank?...
    Any other suggestions will be appreciated..Thanks

It is absolutely necessary to add a sacrificial lamb to the QT tank before mixing the fish in the main tank. You have learned what to do if the hero fish gets sick. I hope you have the meds to take care of a problem if it crops up.

You just don't know what kind of infection the new fish have been exposed to and are now immune to but are still carriers of. Even fish that are perfectly healthy and absolutely beautiful can carry a bad bug that your existing fish are sensitive to.

I would hate to see you try again, make the same mistake, and then give up. I con't recommend medicating the new fish. I never medicate unless I see a problem.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Ditto what Liz said! Read this thread and you will understand why... http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-fish-question

Wow Brian that was one heck of a good story about QT. I remember that thread but I quit following it before the bad stuff appeared. I have been around the block Discus but I had no idea about what salt alone could do. It makes sense that the pathogen could be more sensitive to the salt than the Discus, but I had no clue that the Discus would be comfortable with so much salt.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 07-18-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

For awhile, it seemed like I was pushing salt all the time, but we had a rash of similar issues at that time that appeared to be very serious but in fact were not.

I only recommend the use of salt for short term and as a first line of attack on minor bugs and such

If you research the affect sodium has on osmotic pressure down to the cellular level, you can see the benefits of short term use and the detriments of long term use...
    Last edited by jeep; 07-18-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Thanks I will keep you posted...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

I wanted to restock after my disaster so I found a place in my laundry room
    to set up a quarantine tank.It is a 20 long and brand new and cycled.
    I received three new beauties from Chicago Discus and they started eating the next day and
    have not stopped.It has been 6 weeks they are beautiful and healthy.Of course it was bare bottom with daily water changes
    and three feedings a day.I have finally talked myself into adding a sacrificial lamb or fish to the tank.
    I have had him for about a year and a half and he is very healthy and calm{see pic.}So how long do I wait until it is safe to return all to the main tank??I plan on doing this again in a month or two as I am looking to have a total of
    seven in the 90 gallon tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

People here recommend 3 weeks, even longer. But from my experience the "usual suspects" that are easy to treat if you recognize symptoms and have the meds on hand, are visible in less than a week.

If they carry something like Discus Plague or Cryptobia, which is unlikely from Chicago Discus it can take months before you start to see the problems starting.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Thanks Liz,I do have confidence in Chicago Discus they have always sent quality healthy Discus..I plan on 3-4 weeks to be sure and will update than,thanks for the reply...

You're doing it the right way. No more devastation for you.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

you can only be sure when you use microscope

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Doogy262 View Post
    Thanks Liz,I do have confidence in Chicago Discus they have always sent quality healthy Discus..I plan on 3-4 weeks to be sure and will update than,thanks for the reply...
    A lot of people can't resist the temptation to throw in the new discus into the tanks. Furthermore, it is tough to QT for 6 weeks and then put in a sacrificial discus for another 3-4 weeks, but it saves you a lot of pain, saves your fish, and saves you a ton of $$. I'm happy you're doing it right this time around! Good luck to you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123